Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 PM

I'm planning an Alaska trip on the NCL Star and am wanting a balcony room. On deck 8, the four forward-most balcony rooms, two on each side, are cheaper than the ones before on the same deck. Is there any reason why they are cheaper? Does the front of the ship impose some form of obstructed view? Am I being paranoid?

Balcony BE, rooms 8512, 8516, 8012, and 8016.
You can see them here:
http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruis...129&deckId=887

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:24 PM

The staterooms that are located in the very forward section of the ship are prone to more motion than those mid-ship. However, if there is a significant difference in price between 8516/8016 and the cabins next door (8518/8018) - I would take adantage of the savings. I might reconsider if you are prone to motion sickness AND there are cabins available mid-ship for very little difference in price.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 AM

I think it would also depend on the time of year you cruise.

The ONLY time I got seasick on a cruise is when we did Alaska in September - it was so rough that the captain closed off the outside decks for 2 evenings! There were a LOT of passengers "missing" from dinner those two nights (I ended up leaving dinner early one of the nights, and I have NEVER gotten seasick before!).

We went in September. If you are going that time of the year, I'd definitely recommend mid-ship. We were midship and still were quite queasy (with bonine!).
Old 05-10-2005, 08:26 AM

Hmmm, I don't know. I bet there is a basketball court right above the cabins or something like that. However, the deck plan doesn't show anything. I have cruise the Star a number of times, but never in the BE category. I m not usre what I would do unless I could find out why they are cheaper.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Tom
Old 05-10-2005, 08:16 PM

I've been on the Star before. If I remember correctly, the basketball court is on the top deck (14?). My guess is the reason those cabins are cheaper is because they are the front-most balcony cabins. The 5 cabins further forward are ocean-view cabins. I'm assuming you may have a limited view only if you try to look toward the very front of the ship from your balcony. Just my 2 cents.

Tim

RCI Monarch of the Seas - May 05
RCI Mariner of the Seas - Mar 05
NCL Norwegian Dawn - Jun 04
RCI Mariner of the Seas - Feb 04
Golden Princess - Sep 03
RCI Vision of the Seas - May 03
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Sep 02
NCL Norwegian Star - May 02
Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Hi,

Don't quote me on this as i don't have the deck plan handy, but i'm on the Star next year and have previously been on the Dawn, and as far as i can remember the balconies furthest front are steel and not clear fronted, when a square section has been cut out from the hull to make the balcony instead of a regular, open balcony with perspex along the front.
If this is the case, it could explain some of the difference in cost as these are often darker inside, less natural light, and also when sat on a chair or lounger you can't see above the steel.

It is of course also true that at the very front, (and back), instead of a 'corkscrew' motion created by todays stabilisers on rough seas, you have a fairly violent up and down motion, this does make people sicker than usual!

Rosey
Old 07-17-2005, 09:54 AM

Have you taken your cruise yet? We are sailing on the Star Nov.2005 & are in cabin #8018 right behaind you. My concern is the noise below from the Theater. How was your cruise?
Ellen
Quote:
Originally posted by badbob001:
I'm planning an Alaska trip on the NCL Star and am wanting a balcony room. On deck 8, the four forward-most balcony rooms, two on each side, are cheaper than the ones before on the same deck. Is there any reason why they are cheaper? Does the front of the ship impose some form of obstructed view? Am I being paranoid?

Balcony BE, rooms 8512, 8516, 8012, and 8016.
You can see them here:
http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruis...129&deckId=887

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
8516, balcony, cabin, cruise, dawn, front, hull, mariner, monarch, ncl, norwegian, radiance, room, seas, ship, star