Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 11:46 PM

I just spent the week of Dec.1 thru the 8th on NCL Sun. The ship was beautiful, the crew was wonderful,the food- TERRIBLE! We were sooo disappointed. I have to partially agree with killntime7x24 that posted earlier. You really had to pay for good food. Everything else was mediocore to poor. We almost enjoyed a very nice dinner in the EMW Steakhouse. We went with the early reservation (half price) to try it. The service was lacking and the food was acceptable. My boyfriend tasted his lobster bisque and didnt care for it, the waiter never came back because of all the tables he had so eventually the matre'd came over to see what was wrong. Then we were charged full price because he ordered the "surf & turf" which was not part of the early bird special.
In the regular dining room on Captains night, one of the members in our party asked for 2 lobster tails and we were told they only serve one at a time. He did get his 2nd but it took quite some time. And the shrimp cocktail was gulf shrimp!
There also werent many activities to do on the sea days. We did not want to hear any lectures, but there were plenty of those around the ship. We did not want to play bingo, and they had a silly contest around the pool where they had people moaning into a microphone? Not sure what that was about but it didnt seem like fun. On the last night we did enjoy the Quest. It was an adult scavenger hunt type game.
Like I said the ship was beautiful. Alittle chopped up but very pretty.
This was my 7th cruise,1st on NCL and sadly it will be my last. Maybe I am just not into the "freestyle" way.
And may I suggest if you have a stop in Roatan,Honduras just stay on the ship. Donate some money to them by mail, whatever...but stay on the ship. It was very very poor,children begging everywhere. Very sad.
Thanks for listening.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I have been on 4 of ncl ships The seas, the dawn, the Sun and the spirit, and the only good thing I found was the blue lagoon with the Hamburgers and other things they serve I had several bad experiences with the help in our state room and also with our shore bookings they were rude in many aspects I have vowed never to go on there cruises again and have returned to Carnival I have been on 13 cruise 9 with Carnival and 4 with ncl and going on my 14th this january on Carnival and I agree with you on roatan stay on ship and enjoy the pools and hot tubs and maybe a spa treatment it is so true, but sad that these poor children are sent out to beg and it puts a bad taste and damper on ones vacation, I understand its a poor country but I have saved every penny to go on vacation with our family and it is just a sad affair, now when I book I make sure Belize and Roatan are not on the Itinery, I also encountered the same in Belize.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Hi Ggina,

Sorry you had a bad food experience...I've been on 14 NCL cruises and most of the time, the food has been good to great. But then it's a personal thing on your opinion of what you expect on a cruise...I usually stay away from the ex-charge restaurants...as for the activities, I enjoy just relaxing....but usually the entertainment is outstanding on NCL ships...As you cruise more and more, you will find that each cruiseline has it's GOOD and BAD points....but all and all, cruising is still the best overall vacation...in my opinion:-). Find a cruiseline that you really like and stick with them...Roataan is a place I would like my grandkids to see...just so they know how GOOD they've got it back at home...Enjoy your next cruise....I always say.."There isn't really a BAD cruise, some are just BETTER than others"...

Bob E
Old 12-10-2007, 11:50 AM

I have to agree with both of you in many statements you made.
I actually made the same statement regarding Roatan to my family. I had wished my boyfriends teens & my nephew were with us,just so that they all could see how good they have it back home. It was just so sad to see them out there begging, but I did save all year for this vacation. I didnt expect to feel guilty on vacation.
The statement was also tossed around that a not soo good cruise was still way better then a week at work! Freestyle is just not for me personally.
But all in all we made the best of it and had a wonderful time.

thanks for your replies back.
Gina
Old 12-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi Gina,

Next time try the Southern Caribbean....the islands are more historic with forts, castles, old churches and wonderful scenery....the economy is much better down there and more shopping opportunities....and I think the people are more outgoing....Have a wonderful next cruise...

Bob E
Old 12-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Ggina,
I'm not a fan of freestyle either, but I am going to give it another try on the cruise to no where on NCL's Gem. I'm a CCL girl. I'll be doing my 27th will CCL in March.

Closed Thread

Tags
12102007, cruise, cruising, dawn, free, ncl, styling