Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I just looked at the Pearl deck plans on the NCL website. They don't show the self-service laundries.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
As a passenger on the NCL 3 times in 2007, there must be some confusion over the NCL Pearl. When we were on the Pearl in Feb 2007(So Carribean Cruise 9 day) May 20th (Alaska 7 day cruise) and September 2007 (repositioning cruise) the NCL Pearl DID indeed have self serve laundromats on board. There were two on Deck 9 and two on Deck 11. They were located on the inside of the ship, midship. At first when we tried to find them, we had a hard a time locating them. There was just a simple sign on the door. After asking where they were located, we found them and used them on all three sailings. Current travel websites still list the Self Serve Laundromats as shown below.

It is possible that you just could not locate them?

I have been informed however that NCL was proposing to eliminate self serve laundromats deciding to turn the space into Inside Cabins. I am not sure if that plan was instituted and completed on your cruise.

Not all NCL ships have laundry
on our Pearl cruise in Oct 2008 there were three free laundromats except for soap or you could bring your own. One on deck 5, one on deck 9 across from cabin 9088 and one on deck 10 across from cabin 10082 they were hard to find just a small sign on the upper corner of door. I too have heard that they were being closed and could have been during your cruise. What did we all do before they put the laundromats on the ships. As for the nickle & dime item I have heard this before but all lines have things for sale but you don't need to buy. Our Pearl cruise was 19 days and we had a very good time and the food was good, the bathrooms were small but the room was good size.
Thanks for your review it will be helpfull.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I just looked at the Pearl deck plans on the NCL website. They don't show the self-service laundries.
They are not labeled as such on the NCL site. But, keep in mind, the self-service laundries are being eliminated. I doubt they had already done so on the Pearl, however.

Most (if not all) of the NCL ships have laundry specials throughout the cruise. It is usually $20 for everything you can stuff into an NCL laundry bag (and you can get a lot into one of those bags!). It comes back in a day or two, folded and ready to wear.

It comes down to this: Do you want to spend $20 and have someone else do your laundry? Or, do you want to spend your vacation hunting down a self-service laundry, wait until a machine is available, come back when the wash cycle is finished, put it in the dryer and, finally, return later to fold, etc.? If you are not there when the cycle ends, you may find your laundry piled on a table because someone else wanted your machine.

I have used the self-service laundries on the Jewel and the Pearl and they were very nice. Everything was labeled and still people did not follow instructions. They used hand soap in the machines which caused excessive suds - thus ruining the machines for the following user. I'm sure NCL is removing them because of misuse - not because they were unpopular.

IWC
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

BentNail wrote:

"On our Pearl cruise in Oct 2008 there were three free laundromats except for soap or you could bring your own. One on deck 5, one on deck 9 across from cabin 9088 and one on deck 10 across from cabin 10082 they were hard to find just a small sign on the upper corner of door. I too have heard that they were being closed and could have been during your cruise. What did we all do before they put the laundromats on the ships. As for the nickle & dime item I have heard this before but all lines have things for sale but you don't need to buy. Our Pearl cruise was 19 days and we had a very good time and the food was good, the bathrooms were small but the room was good size.

Thanks for the confirmation of the laundromats on the NCL Pearl at least up to Oct 2008. While they may not be shown on the deck plans, it is certain that they still may exist.

I used them myself, but was unsure of the exact deck other than 9, and your confirmation and cruiselovers267 confimation show that NCL has not made any conversions yet to inside cabins.

I know on the Pearl when the laundromats were used, they were used heavily by the passengers, and they certainly got plenty of use.

Thanks again BentNail that they do exist on the Pearl.

I am sure that Frase just could not find them.

My post was not a figment of my imagination, it was fact not fiction.

Now perhaps we can put this issue to rest.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM

We do our laundry when we get home. Always packed enough for the number of days we cruised. There's been a couple of times when I had to have dry cleaning done because of a spill, but never had a need for a laundry room. I like Cruiselover267's suggestion on using the laundry special...a bag stuffed for $20. I've seen a similar special on our transatlantic cruise, which was a 15 night cruise.

Sonny
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
They used hand soap in the machines which caused excessive suds - thus ruining the machines for the following user. I'm sure NCL is removing them because of misuse - not because they were unpopular.
I highly doubt that is the reason. If they couldn't monitor and figure out how to fix a rare over-sudsing washing machine, I doubt they would be in the cruise business.

Dwayne
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I did attempt to find these self-service laundry mats onboard the Norwegian Pearl. I looked at the fold-out map and it was not listed. I tried to find any information about these laundry rooms in the newsletter; no luck

(by the way I think the Pearl could have done a better job with the newsletter. On Carnival and RCCL, the back page of the newsletter had a section separated with a perforation. The information in this section was a condensed time table of events that day, which you could tear-off and take with you. There was no such thing on the newsletters onboard the Pearl)

Anyway, back to the story of the laundry rooms:

On Day 4 of the cruise, I accumulated enough clothes to do my first load of laundry. After not being able to locate the self-service laundry rooms myself, I packed the dirty clothes in a bag, along with some detergent I brought from home, and a roll of quarters, and headed to the Purser's Desk. When I got there I asked the purser at the desk
Quote:
" I am looking for the self-service laundry room. Can you tell me where it is?"
She then responded:
Quote:
I am sorry, this ship does not have a laundry room. We only have valet (full-service) laundry only.
Then to make sure I understood her correctly I then said:
Quote:
"So, there is no self-service laundry on the ship?". She responded, "That is correct. Instead you need to place the clothes that need to be washed in the bag provided in your room, fill-out the laundry form and place both items on your bed. Your cabin steward will take care of the clothes from there."
I believed her and that is what I did. I had no reason to doubt what she said. So I walked back to my cabin dissapointed.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote:
BentNail wrote:

"On our Pearl cruise in Oct 2008 there were three free laundromats except for soap or you could bring your own. One on deck 5, one on deck 9 across from cabin 9088 and one on deck 10 across from cabin 10082
My cabin onboard the Pearl was 9109. Very close to one of these self-service laundry rooms. If it was still being used it was a miracle I did not see it. Then again, I made no attempt to look for these laundry rooms after the female purser clearly told me there were none onboard.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Banned

Note: The following information is from last fall. The laundry rooms may have been closed since then.

Self-Service Washing Machines and Dryers
Washers and dryers are available for use by passengers free of charge only on the ships listed below. All they have to pay for is the soap ($1.00 for the box, 1 load per box). Irons are also available for guests to use in the laundry room only.
N. Dawn: decks 9, 10
N. Gem: decks 5, 9, 10
N. Jewel: decks 9, 10
N. Pearl: decks 5, 9, 10 (across from 5072, across from 9088, and across from 10082)

Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 AM

I like the $20 special. We too will try to pack enough for the cruise but I'm not sure we'll be able to if we do manage to go on the 7 day itinerary. 7 days worth of clothes + 7 people = a lot of suitcases (and even though we'd be driving to the cruise port for the 7 day itinerary there's only so much room in the van). My wife would probably throw me overboard if she found out we had to do laundry ourselves on a cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cabins, carnival, cruise, facilities, inspiration, interior, laundry, ncl, norwegian, pearl, quad, rooms, service, sideways, triple