Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm going on my first Freestyle cruise on the Pearl on 2/8 and am wondering about formalwear.

Should I or shouldn't I? Is there "formal" nights?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:37 PM

We are going on that same cruise. I heard that there is going to be a night set aside for a formal night if you choose to dress up. But its your choice and that it will be in the main dining rooms.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm almost leaning toward not taking any formalwear. I've been on many cruises...just want to be prepared.

I'm almost nervous about this one, my inlaws just came back from theirs in the Western Caribbean and were not happy at all! But I'm keeping an open mind.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

NCL doesn't have Formal nights anymore.
Instead, they have a Dress Up Or Not night.

Resort Casual is ALWAYS appropriate on NCL ships.

But you can dress up if you wish on any night, and more will do so on the Dress Up or Not night than on the other nights.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oceangirl:
Thanks for the info. I'm almost leaning toward not taking any formalwear. I've been on many cruises...just want to be prepared.

I'm almost nervous about this one, my inlaws just came back from theirs in the Western Caribbean and were not happy at all! But I'm keeping an open mind.
What cruise and ship were your in laws on ???
We were on the Pearl Dec 23-28.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Oceangirl,
I, too would like to know what your in-laws didn't like about the Western Caribbean cruise. We're going in March on the Sun and while we've been on that ship before and loved it, I can't imagine what's not to like about a cruise.

I agree with what's been said about the "dress up or not" nights. Those who do (and even those who don't) can get some nice formal pictures at that time too. (I really didn't see many tuxes or gowns - mostly just "nice" clothes)
Judy
Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM

I think they were on the NCL Spirit. They left out of New Orleans and went to Belize, Guatemala, Cozemel. But they couldn't go to Guatemala b/c of problems with an engine on the previous cruise. It could't be repaired in time.

It was the 16 - 23 of Dec.

No hot water on the morning they were leaving, cold food in the dining room, and bad service in the dining room. So they had issues but like I said, I'm keeping an open mind.

I just want to know if I must do the $10 a day tipping. I believe in rewarding good service and don't hesitate to do so, but I don't feel I should just hand over $ for someone that doesn't deserve it. I would be more compelled to compensate better on my own than a mandatory fee. I think thats alittle like allowing staff to treat us in a substandard fashion knowing they are getting rewarded anyway.

But I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'll let you know how my cruise turns out after I come back.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi Oceangirl,
Thanks for your quick reply. It sounds like some of the problems were mechanical and such. No hot water or food on the last day would be a bummer.

We have not been on the spirit, only on the Sun and had found that the service was amazing. We did the $10.00 per day as it was easy and then slipped some extra to our steward(s) and a special waitress in the dining room who made our dinner time very special and fun.

I have not been on the Pearl but hope to soon. Richard and Mary who often post on here are quite familiar with it and will hopefully tell you more about it. I think from what I've heard of it, that it's a great ship and the service is very good.

I'm sure you'll have a great time and you'll be able to tell us all about it.
Judy
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Ocean Girl,

I will be on the Pearl at the end of the month..just missed you:-)...Formal night really has gotten down to just looking nice...We like the Freestyle concept...we do dress up a bit..nice sport coat, tie, and the ladies wear a nice dress, skirt, sweater....last year we didn't see one tux....and more and more ships are going to some kind of freestyle...we were on an RCL ship last winter and saw jeans on formal night...so things are a changing:-)...
I was on the Jewel when she was brand new and was a great ship...so the Pearl should be wonderful too....NCL is "Resort Casual" on the other nights but we did see "Resort Casual" on formal night too...Wear what makes you comfortable....Happy Cruising...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
attire, caribbean, cruise, cruises, formal, free, freestyle, nighst, nights, norwegen, norwegian, ormal, spirit, style, western