Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Just because pax do it and cruise employees may look the other way (tips?) does not make "smuggling" OK. Cruise-chat strongly discourages this practice.

Paul & Darryl, the corkage fee was $15 on our May 2008 cruise. I don't know if that's changed -- NCL is not the best at keeping its Web site up-to-date.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM
$15.00 is still the corkage fee. I made a call yesterday to the cruise line, so unless they're giving me bad info, this is the current "fee".
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
.... in our Garden Villa...

.....Mary and I purchased a premium boxed wine (about $22.00 to $25.00 for 3 liters) ....
I was just going to let this go, but I couldn't... You pay several thousand dollars for a Garden Villa and then try to saves a few bucks by smuggling liquor aboard? "Premium Boxed Wine"???? That is such an oxymoron I don't even have to point that out. Wow, sure glad you felt to need to save $66 by bringing that aboard. And don't be so quick to assume that since the concierge didn't say anything that it means it's okay. How long do you think he would keep his job if he upset the passengers in the garden Villa??? No, I'm sure he thought highly of you for putting him in that delicate position. But at least you had a great party....
Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM

We really do try to make sure that we don't encourage anyone to take a risk or break the rules. The cruise lines really do want to make it safe for all passengers. Yes, they do make money off of alcohol sales, but they also can keep an eye on consumption (to a small degree). With people liquored up, it's harder to make sure they remain safe and do not inflict harm on someone else. Most cruise lines do not mind you bringing a bottle of wine on board, but they sure don't want you to bring a case. Please do go and enjoy the cruise, bring a bottle of wine per person if you would like. It really isn't more expensive than going out to a nice lounge or restaurant for a drink. There are always excursions that offer free rum punch, too. We have found that some of the islands offer some pretty tasty locally produced products at a reasonable price, too. Don't put the employees into an uncomfortable situation, they really try so very hard to please everyone.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
NCL or any other cruise lines can not possibly catch all items brought back from a port of call
This is exactly the point Richard & Mary, it is against the rules. Which is exactly what Jim was pointing out. Rules were made because they were needed, not for everyone to bend and break them. Abuse of power gets us into alot of trouble, heck look at the state of the world today.
Jim stated he was going to let your post go, but couldn't because it is encouraging others to break the rules because they can. Many people go over the speed limit daily, because they can. Encouraging a new driver to do it is not prudent, neither was your post.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 AM

Thank you penny.. well said.

Richard- My being a moderator has absolutely no influence on what I wrote. Even before I was a moderator I would not have condoned breaking the cruise lines rules to bring alcohol aboard. Wine is fine as long as the amounts are within the cruise line's rules of doing so. Hard liquor is not allowed, else why would they confiscate it when it is found coming on board. Can they catch all of it? Apparently not. But that doesn't mean its ok.

I really don't care if you are long time NCL customers, new cruisers or the owner of the cruise line. I could also care less about your choice of accommodations (which you apparently think gives you the right to break the rules.) I was not casting judgment on you. No judgment was needed. You clearly stated that you had liquor at your party that was obviously brought on board against the rules. I was pointing out the obvious issues with that.

Normally we close down the threads that begin discussing the smuggling of alcohol but this one started off asking legitimate questions. Those questions have been answered so its now time to close the thread.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
average, board, bottle, cabronnay, cost, cruise, jewel, jewels, money, ncl, norwegian, room, saving, star, tips, wine