Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 PM

I'm excited about our upcoming cruise on the Norwegian Jewel. However, we're on a budget and the 'extras'seem to be adding up fast. I was hoping to bring some wine on board, but looks next to impossible. What is the average cost of a bottle of wine etc. in the various restaurants? Also, how risky is it to arrange for excursions on your own?
Any tips would be really appreciated.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi to you,

If I'm not mistaken, I think the price for a bottle of wine starts around $26 for a cheaper wine and then the sky is the limit...plus there is a 15% gratuity tacked on also....trying to bring your own liquor on board can be messy and embarassing.....to me, it's not worth the effort...you can do your own excursions, but you have to be careful......they are not guaranteed in most cases.....plus, if you don't get back to the ship on time....it's gone bye bye.....but some people have no problem on doing their own.....I'm sure you will get more opinions........Happy sailing....

Bob E
Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Another question....do they charge for coffee and water?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
You can drink all the coffee you want in any of the resturants and the buffet....I usually bring a thermo mug and carry coffee around with me....The ships water is free and very good...they do have bottled water for around $3....Your room will have a fridge stocked with things plus water...THEY AREN'T FREE:-)...I have the room steward empty it...don't want to get charged for something I didn't use....plus you can bring pop or water back on the ship from your excursions...and you will want room in the fridge....just don't try to bring liquor back on.....oh, there is free tea and hot chocolate in the buffet area...plus a few Latte machines on board that are free too....

Happy Cruising,

Bob E
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Rena - If you want to do it up in style-get the inexpensive ($79 or so) romance package thru NCL customer relations! You'll get a bottle of Sparkling wine plus chocolate coated strawberries in your stateroom at embarkation, Dinner for 2 in LeBistro with a bottle of wine, A champagne party with cake (and fellow romantics), Hot Hors D'oerves in your stateroom on one nite! Plus a great framed photo! Well worth the price!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Actually, we just contacted NCL about bringing wine on board and they told us we COULD bring wine on board.(We're setting sail 11/14/08) Just wine though. There is a corkage fee if brought to the restaurant, but no one says you can't open it in your room.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Somebody correct me if things have changed since my last NCL cruise (this past spring) -- but I believe the "corkage" fee is paid upon boarding. Pax were asked to declare any bottles they brought onboard, and had to pay up at a table just prior to getting on the ship. I don't think it matters whether the wine is opened in the dining room or the cabin.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Lisa...you are correct. My apologies. The corkage is paid as you board the ship. I got some bad info from my dad...parents...
Old 11-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Keith -

Did they give you a $$ figure for the corkage fee? There are a couple of bottles from local wineries I'd like to bring aboard but won't bother if they'll require me to mortgage my house

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

On our NCL Star cruise last week, we had a fairly large party (about 35) in our Garden Villa...We gave out invitations to each invitee and delivered them to their staterooms.

We stated that it would be a BYOB...when the guests arrived they had several bottles of wine, and hard liquor. Our conceirge was also invited and said nothing about the stowed away liquor that was provided. So it was clearly evident that many passengers stow away liquor in their luggage.

With all the libations, we had a great time of course. On several occasions, Mary and I purchased a premium boxed wine (about $22.00 to $25.00 for 3 litres) and packed that in our suitcase. We have never had any problems and of course there is no corkage fee for that. It fits perfectly in the room refrigerator. When going to dinner, we just filled up our wine glasses and entered the dining room with no problems. Any room steward will provide nice glass wine goblets for you.
On ship, the low end wines like a Beringer White Zinfindel costs about $5.00 in a US grocery store and is listed in the Wine Menu at $22.00 on ship. The St. Francis Cabronnay Sauvion goes for about $36.00 on ship. Costs $20.00 in the US.

Hope this info helps.

We love NCL.....this was a GREAT cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
average, board, bottle, cabronnay, cost, cruise, jewel, jewels, money, ncl, norwegian, room, saving, star, tips, wine