Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Can you opt out of the $12 per person fee? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/36326-can-you-opt-out-12-per-person-fee.html)

Burkuwski 01-02-2011 11:53 AM

Can you opt out of the $12 per person fee?

Do any NCL guests know if you can opt out of the $12 per day fee, and instead, do your own tipping. I know of other cruisers, on other cruise lines, that do not authorize the per diem tipping fee, and choose instead to do their own tipping. Apparently, after boarding, they go to the front desk, and say they do not authorize the per diem rate being charged to their on-board account, and instead, will tip as they go. The cruise line give them envelopes to do their tipping as they see fit.
Just wondering if any NCL cruisers have tried this?

Dave 01-02-2011 01:06 PM

NCL makes the distinction of calling it a service charge and not tips or gratuities, which they put in a different category.

My understanding is you cannot simply opt out on day 1 of the cruise. You can adjust the amount for specific service problems but they request that you give them a chance to fix the problem. If the fix doesn't meet your approval they have a form you fill out and list how much you want to remove. The form has a blank for 'reason'.

Sonny V 01-02-2011 02:58 PM

That sounds like a good policy to me. I know that there are people that don't tip, or tip very little, and that isn't fair to the person that's there to make your vacation as pleasant as possible. There as only been a couple of times when I had really poor service--I still tipped, but I let that person know I was unhappy and same report was going to be heard by his supervisor. It's the only way his service will improve for future passengers.

Sonny

Luv2Cruise2007 01-03-2011 08:28 AM

I agree with Sonny. You should always tip but let a supervisor know if you are receiving sub-par service.

penny3333 01-03-2011 10:47 AM

We've been on 5 NCL cruises, but have never tried to opt out. We have given those who have gone out of their way, extra. The envelopes were available at the purser's desk. I can ask on my next cruise in February, if you'd like.

Boneman 02-13-2011 09:37 AM

Yes, we have never opted out, but rather added additional for superior service and left as is for as expected service. So far, we have not received service that we would ask to take away a portion.

penny3333 02-14-2011 11:19 AM

I did ask and was informed that you could not just opt out, you could adjust IF there was a valid reason. They call it a service fee and not gratuity, so there had to be a "service" that was not received. Not sure if that answers your question, but that is what I was told.