Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Back from the Sky
I am so sad that it was not a longer cruise! The weather was awesome!!!! It was never below 72 degrees. I did have to buy a sweatshirt because it was brisk on deck and nippy in the mornings, but it warmed up beautifully during the day.

The Sky was in great condition, the food was wonderful in the main dining rooms. I didn't eat in the specialty restaurants, so cannot report on that. Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. I boarded about 30 minutes after arriving and had lunch. The rooms were ready around 2 and my luggage was there by 3. I had everything put up in time for muster. We did have to stand outside, but did not have to wear our life jackets. Muster didn't last more than 15 minutes.

I don't know why people say Freeport is dirty. The port itself is industrial, so yes, that's not exactly attractive. BUT....I went over to Lucaya. I spent about 3 hours walking around the Radisson and up and down the beach. It was spotless, everything was manicured beautifully. Then I went through the shopping area, which is a lot cleaner than Nassau. Traffic was extremely light and it took no time at all to go the 12 miles to Lucaya. It's too bad they don't promote Freeport more. The International Bazaar had about 3 stores open. It looks like a lot of shops, hotels, restaurants and people just left the island. I know the economy is horrible there, not much better in Nassau, but a WHOLE lot more traffic in there.

In Nassau I went to the Atlantis. You were supposed to have identification bands or a room key to get into some areas, but I walked around there for a few hours too. No one stopped me and asked me what I was doing or for identification. I walked down to Cabbage Beach and then back up. Then went shopping at the Straw Market for a bit. I prefer Freeport, however, the Atlantis is a definite must see if you've never been there. I have, but still found new attractions.

Great Stirrup Cay is under mega construction. They're adding more beach area, have built a new marina, and are adding more attractions. You couldn't get to the lighthouse, but could walk down to the kayak area. The water was too cold for me to go snorkeling in any of the ports, although there were plenty of hearty souls swimming. I was told that the construction will be completed in a year, so I'll have to go back and check it out again.

I know, any excuse is a good excuse to cruise

The food was very good. They didn't have the key lime pie every night for dessert, but did have a rendition of the chocolate melting cake that was very good. Not as good as Carnival's or mine, but very good. They did have a chocolate/caramel mousse in a chocolate cup that was heavenly. Yes, I had sticky buns every morning. I walked a mile on the ship every day and probably 3-5 miles in every port, so I didn't gain any weight.

Even though I didn't get to snorkel, I did wade in the water. I also used the hot tubs on board, which was devine!

Now I have a long, long, long wait until the next cruise
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Glad you had a good time.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

You picked a good time to be away from ol' Alabamy weatherwise. Glad you had a fun cruise. Great Stirrup Cay has long been needing upgrading. They have so much unused space there.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Glad you had a great time. Sorry for the late.......

BACK!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Administrator

I have heard such good reports about N. Sky that I think I'll have to try her someday. Thanks for the review!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 AM

Welcome back, Penny. Thanks especially for your report about Lucaya. I haven't heard such a nice report in a while. They must have worked hard to spiff things up, which is nice to know.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

I was on the Sky last year for a short weekend to nowhere with my daughter(4).. we loved it. Cant wait to spend more time on the sky when I cruise the 4 night cruise in November. Last year was just myself and 4 year old daughter and she still talks about the kids club. In november the whole family is going cant wait. Hopefully my husband and stepdaughter(13) enjoy cruising as much as we did.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM

I hope so too, stormyweather! Maybe feed them some sticky buns in the morning and it will get them hooked Are you doing the same itinerary? If so, try to go over to Lucaya in Freeport and visit the Radisson, it is simply beautiful. I've uploaded my pictures, but haven't shared them because I'm not through editing. I will do that soon and will share them here.

The weather and water should be perfect in November!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM

I hope Kodakgallery.com*Album Not Found this link works. This is different from the old system, you can't title your link. Anyway, the first few pictures are from Freeport, then Nassau, then Cozumel and Belize from the Valor cruise last year.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM

As your link suggests, when I click on it, I get an error page that says, "Album not found."

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cay, construction, freeport, great, lucayan, nassau, ncl, pictures, post, reviews, sandy, stirrup, stirrups