Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Gem diverted to Bahamas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/37402-gem-diverted-bahamas.html)

Cortney 09-04-2011 08:50 AM

Gem diverted to Bahamas

I'm sitting at the Port of Manhattan about to board the Gem and we have been diverted to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay due to Katia's path toward Bermuda. I'm so happy, I could cry! No offense to Canada, but I was dying for sun, and the forecast said 60 and rain in Halifax! So happy. Hope everyone has a good attitude about the change. Cheers!

LisaP 09-04-2011 09:10 AM

Thank you for the info, Cortney. Sorry you are going to miss Bermuda, but delighted that you will get the beach weather you've been craving. I love this class of ship--Bon Voyage!

Cruise Fanatic 09-04-2011 10:33 AM

The Gem will be doing that itinerary after the Bermuda runs. I'll be on the Gem November 6th when it does the same itinerary they've diverted you to. Perhaps it was because they've already got agreements with these ports that it was easier to divert you that way, instead of requesting space for the Canada ports. Sounds like you'll have a great cruise.

LisaP 09-13-2011 06:49 PM

Welcome home, Cortney. How was the cruise? I thought of you during the week and hoped that the ride wasn't too rough.

Cortney 09-13-2011 06:50 PM

No biggie went to Bermuda last September. In between two hurricanes, so it rained every day...every time we took a ferry or a bus somewhere, it was sunny when we left Heritage Wharf and started raining almost immediately after we got to our destination! The captain informed us on the first day that if he took us to Bermuda in the weather that was brewing, we'd literally have "the cruise from hell." I'll pass, thanks! I'd rather have sun than Bermuda...and we had plenty of sun. I'd say it was in the mid- to high-90s in Bahamas. A beautiful, sun-soaked and incredibly smooth sailing. Probably the smoothest we ever had. Some people seemed disappointed but I think once some of them realized the alternative was 60s and raining in Canada or rocky seas and rain in Bermuda, they got over it. Most people seemed to have a pretty good attitude, which was very refreshing!

Cortney 09-13-2011 06:52 PM

Oops, replied to this before I even saw your latest post, Lisa! As you can see above, it was a great cruise. One of the best, even with the amended itinerary. We just wanted to relax in the warm sun before Michigan's nine months of winter set in ;) and we got our wish!

It was a little nerve-wracking hearing about the terror threats in NYC on Thursday (we came back into Manhattan on 9/11), but everything went VERY smoothly at the terminal. We were really shocked. Came back to NYC on Dawn on 9/12 last year and it was a customs nightmare...we were delayed on the ship for hours.