Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Retired solo, 1st cruise, need advice
I'm over 60, male, going solo on a first cruise, and want to see Curacao amoung other places. Where do u suggest I go/ship/cruise...and so as not to pay too much extra for going solo ? I'm mainly interested in the ship for transportation to various islands, as photography/sightseeing is my interest. Not partying. thx in advance.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM

ps. I've been to China, Vietnam, Cuba, Paris & Europe, but never on a ship. thx everyone.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Royal Caribbean usually charges 150% whereas most everyone else charges double for cruising solo. NCL has some single cabins on the Epic and their new ship. Carnival used to have a catagory for singles, but I believe they've done away with it. My suggestion is to select the itinerary you want, then find out who cruises that itinerary, then price it out. A good travel agent certified in cruises (CLIA) would be a very valuable asset.

I've cruise many times solo and enjoyed every single one of them! You can do what you want, when you want, without having to worry about anyone else's schedule. Please let us know what you select. Curacao is a great little island to visit, very colorful!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm about to take a solo cruise myself in a couple of weeks.

One thing that is great to do, is certainly sign up for forum groups like this one (and perish the thought...there are OTHERS), and you can register on the ROLL CALL for your ship. That way you will make and meet instant friends for once you are on-board!

As mentioned, the Norwegian EPIC has singles cabins. However, if you don't mind a lower deck inside cabin, even if you have to pay the double fare, it's really still pretty affordable. And if you are like me, you are only in your room to shower, sleep and change clothes. You WILL have to pay the double occupancy fare on those ships, but you WONT have to pay double the taxes, port fees and resort or tip fees. Also Norwegian often offers 100 or 150 specials....where as singles only pay the one far or one and a half fare. Call them and ask a Cruise Consultant what itineraries are offering the single supplement deals. Frankly, given the economy...I'd call all the cruise lines and ask. Can't hurt!

Have a great trip!!

"Well behaved women seldom make history!"
~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

~~~~~~~~~~
NCL Epic December 2011
NCL Sky November 2011
NCL Sky October 2011
NCL Pearl August 2011
NCL Jewel December 2009
NCL Pearl April 2009
NCL Jewel December 2008
NCL Jewel December 2007
NCL Sun December 2006
CCL Fantasy September 1998
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Red face
If you cannot get a good rate for going solo have you considered inviting someone along like a son, grandson or friend? My husband is a social butterfly. He makes friends everywhere he goes so he would do well on a solo cruise. I on the other hand am more reserved and do not mingle easily that is why I do enjoy dining with others on a cruise.

Tags
102011, cruise, cruises, epic, european, googlecom, line, norwegian, reviews, solo, spirit