Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   New to cruising (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/37555-new-cruising.html)

karen masters 10-13-2011 09:34 PM

New to cruising
 
My mom, sister and I are are going on a cruise in 32 days, we are on the Jade and will be cruising to Italy, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. we have decided to most definitley do a shore excursion for Turkey and Egypt, has anyone been there before? our biggest thing right now is knowing what to wear in egypt. Any help would be great.

Cruise Fanatic 10-14-2011 06:07 PM

Karen, Welcome to Cruise Reviews. I did a Mediterranean cruise in 2009. Egypt was on my itinerary, not Turkey. We were in Alexandria two days. The first day we did a ships excursion to the Pyramids. It's a long day. The next day we did a ships excursion to El Alamein. I wore jeans and long sleeved tops. My cruise was in the beginning of December. If you plan to visit any temples and churches it is always recommended to wear longer pants and arms covered.

karen masters 10-14-2011 07:24 PM

Thanks so much, that really helps:)

LisaP 10-15-2011 06:16 AM

Welcome aboard! We were on Norwegian Jade to Italy about a year and a half ago. Beautiful ship that we would love to do again.

BeadBabe 10-15-2011 03:45 PM

Whatever you wear, make sure you won't mind it getting dirty. There is lots of dust.

As a prior poster mentioned...it's best to dress respectful for the country you are in. Cover your arms and legs. Also, if you are going into certain holy places, you'll want to have some sort of head covering. Not your face, as you are a tourish, but the top of your head.

Have a great time!!

karen masters 10-15-2011 09:30 PM

Another question, should we pre-book our excursions or just wait until we're on the ship?

LisaP 10-16-2011 04:40 AM

If there's anything you absolutely want to see, book now. You'll get immediate confirmation and that will be one less item to worry about. With this cruise, it's more about the destinations than the ship. You can also book some now and some later depending upon your priorities.

BeadBabe 10-17-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karen masters (Post 291110)
Another question, should we pre-book our excursions or just wait until we're on the ship?

I always prebook my excursions. That being said, I rarely if ever, use the cruise ship's excursions. I do some research and find a local tour operator. I find self made folks that are in business for themselves, and usually save a bunch of money!

Don't let the cruise lines scare tactics get to you. These private companies WILL get you back on board on time. Let's face it, if they didn't, they'd get bad reviews, and wouldln't be in business long!

Cruise Fanatic 10-18-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadBabe (Post 291142)
I always prebook my excursions. That being said, I rarely if ever, use the cruise ship's excursions. I do some research and find a local tour operator. I find self made folks that are in business for themselves, and usually save a bunch of money!

Don't let the cruise lines scare tactics get to you. These private companies WILL get you back on board on time. Let's face it, if they didn't, they'd get bad reviews, and wouldln't be in business long!

NOTE: While a private company may have every intent to get you back to the ship on time, extenuating circumstances may prevent them from doing so. If these same extenuating circumstances happened with a ships tour, the ship does know how many people they have out on their tours, and the tour operator contacts the ship. When individuals go out on their own, the ship doesn't know where you are or what has happened. For all they know, you've decided to stay on the island. Taking an independent tour is an individuals choice and perfectly fine as long as they understand and accept the responsibility and any consequences.

BeadBabe 10-18-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Fanatic (Post 291144)
NOTE: While a private company may have every intent to get you back to the ship on time, extenuating circumstances may prevent them from doing so. If these same extenuating circumstances happened with a ships tour, the ship does know how many people they have out on their tours, and the tour operator contacts the ship. When individuals go out on their own, the ship doesn't know where you are or what has happened. For all they know, you've decided to stay on the island. Taking an independent tour is an individuals choice and perfectly fine as long as they understand and accept the responsibility and any consequences.

CF, well I guess I won't argue with you. You are the moderator and the "expert" after all :) I'm simply a cruiser. But I will simply share my experience. Cruise ship sanctioned tour companies have paid a premium to the ships to offer tours to their passengers. "Non-sanctioned" companies have simply decided to offer tours without the "upcharge" to the cruise ship companies. I was on such an excursion in Costa Rica. The bus broke down, as buses do. Cruise ship tour operators aren't the the only lucky folks with cell phones, the private companies have them too. ;) Our guide called his office, they called our ship. Not to mention those of us with cell phones that could do the same. They would be insane not to call the ship!

I just believe in choices and the wonderful opportunities that thinking outside the box provides. Cruise ship excursions or private excursions...both are adventures, both can be fun. One just allows for smaller groups and a few less bucks. If ANY tour operator caused anyone to miss their ship, they would get BLASTED in these forums and would never be in business.

Of all the unhappy reviews about service, value for the money, rudeness, etc....it's a rare rare account (frankly I've not read even one) of anyone missing a ship.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2