Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 AM

First of all this is all new to me.My hubby and I hope to take our first cuise April/05 on the Norweagian Sun.The cruise will take us through the Panama Canal.The cruise is for 17 days.I would appreciate any comments any of you have,good or bad.I hope to hear from someone in the near future.We know it's a long journey for our first time,but it's been hubby's dream for a long time.As for myself I'm just going along for the ride..ha,ha!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 AM

First of all this is all new to me.My hubby and I hope to take our first cuise April/05 on the Norweagian Sun.The cruise will take us through the Panama Canal.The cruise is for 17 days.I would appreciate any comments any of you have,good or bad.I hope to hear from someone in the near future.We know it's a long journey for our first time,but it's been hubby's dream for a long time.As for myself I'm just going along for the ride..ha,ha!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:19 PM

What is the itinerary?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 AM

hi 11deck.........the ports of call on the Panama cruise are......Oranjestad,Aruba.....Costa Rica....Acapuclo....Puerto Vallarta....a couple of other Mexico stops,then on to L A.would like comments about these places,especially if they are worth the money to go ashore.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:11 PM

Most ports are worth going ashore, in my opinion, as it's part of the cruise experience and adventure, to see new places. If it's your first visit to a particular port, I advise reserving shore excursions through the cruise line - lots of reasons - but if it's a port you have been to several times before, you can certainly check something out on your own, or stay onboard and enjoy a less-crowded ship.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:12 PM

My advice to you is plan to spend at least double than what you expect to pay. NCL is a ripoff! There is nothing "free" about their freestyle cruising. They nickle and dime you to death. If you want to eat at something other than the same buffet or free restaurant for meals, plan to pay. They charge between $12-15 per person to eat! No other cruise line does this. Lobster was $25, when it should have been free! Did you know the tips were automatically charged on everything? $10 per person, perday. Even a soda will have an automatic tip on it. Plan to take a yoga class? Plan to pay. Like Bingo? Take out a loan its $30 for 4 measly games. $49 if you want the fancy electronic bingo card. Whoopee. Don't drink the water in your cabin, its $3.75. Look out, they will charge you for it whether you drink it or not. Don't try to go to the formal restaurant on formal night, if you aren't in a coat and tie, they will REFUSE to serve you. Its too bad you can't book another cruise line, this one , even if you got a good price, will cost you a fortune in the end.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:52 PM

Hey, do you work for a competitor of NCL's? If it were that bad, no one would cruise on them. I haven't had the pleasure (or displeasure, as you infer) but your post sounds to aggressive to be for real. Why not take a positive approach to cruising? Offer a better alternative and do not dwell on the negative.

I have cruised on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, among ohers, and they all do the same things that you said NCL did exclusively.

Tips are now added to your account automatically on just about everyone. Just about everyone has alternative dining restaurants that charge a service fee, tips for beverage service are automaticaly added to your bill on every ship I have been on and bottled water is always charged for in your cabin. What's the beef?
Old 05-06-2004, 02:17 AM

Hello Chicklet,

of course everybody is entitled to having his or her opinion, but I do by no means agree with what Gail claims. While NCL has more not included dining options than most other lines, the purpose-built freestyle cruising ships (including "Norwegian Sun") on the other hand have more included dining options than most other lines.

As for tips and water bottles in the cabins, most cruise lines are the same.

Also, what you pay in the end always depends on your needs and habits.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 05-06-2004, 06:07 AM

Hi Gail,thank you for your tip.We are going with an open mind and on the cruise we chose.Sorry you didn't like NCL.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Hey Roger,

NO, I don't work for a cruise line. And Im sorry you think my post is too "aggressive" (what a ridiculous reply to someone's opinion). I was a passsenger last week. I stated my opinion. You don't have to like it. For your information, I NEVER experienced these things on Carnival (either time), NOR did any cruise lines website indicate charges for any restaurants other than a formal one. Maybe YOU should work for a cruise line and actually listen to passenger complaints to build better service. I don't need to " have a postive approach to cruising and not dwell on the negative" as you say (thanks again for telling me what to do) when I am merely responding to MY experience and MY opinion based on someone elses inquiry. Oh, and you want to know "where's the beef?" I'll tell you........ on my VISA bill thanks to NCL! Relax there Roger. This is a place for opinions. If you don't like mine, move on. If you don't have a problem with the nickel and diming, then the crusie lines will love you. Happy sailing.

Closed Thread