Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Cool Reading NCL Reviews and Now I'm Concerned!
After reading several of the reviews for Norwegian, I'm very concerned about our upcoming cruise next year. I do know that a lot of people like to complain about the smallest detail, but I've read about 5 or 6 reviews and they all say that the food is bad, the staff is rude and awful, the excursions are not good...Not sure now what to expect on the NCL. I'm paying quite a bit of money for a balcony and I don't want to be disappointed. I will go with a positive attitude and a good outlook, but these reviews are very concerning.

Any other comments or suggestions. I'm going on the NCL Jewel.

Need some cruise help?
------------------------------
Royal Caribbean - April 2006
Carnival Pride - May - 2008
Upcoming Cruise: Carnival Sunshine - March 2014
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't be concerned. Many reviews tend to highlight the negative, and a good number of these don't give specifics for the low ratings. "The food isn't good," for example, is highly subjective and quite broad. Where did this person eat? The buffet only? Dining room? Le Bistro? Was it inedible, or just not as good as what the reviewer found on other lines? Unless there are specifics, I just gloss over it. (And, I am a review writer myself.)

You're going with the right attitude. Now, if something does seem to be going wrong, bring it to the attention of someone who can do something about it while you're still on the ship. We had such an issue on our last cruise (different cruise line). The dining room service was extraordinarily slow for the first two nights. We left a note for the restaurant manager after breakfast on the third morning (at which service was still very slow), and we noticed a vast improvement from that point on. The restaurant manager also contacted us personally (found us in the dining room, actually).

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried, although I understand how some reviews can leave that impression.

Happy to answer questions on Norwegian Jewel.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
If it's a legitimate review from someone like LisaP I would pay attention. But if it's someone's first or second post and they use words like "inedible", "awful", "horrible", "extremely rude", chances are they are just venting. Around here they are called "drive by" reviews--one scathing post then never heard from again. I've been cruising for almost 40 years and I have NEVER used ANY of those words; not that I've never had a less-than-great meal or run into an employee having a bad day: but I've never been on a cruise that I wouldn't gladly do again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 PM
I totally agree with f-mattox and Lisa, I have been on many different cruise lines. I have my favorite but I also love to try something new. I have been on the Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Gem and next year the Breakaway. I didn't feel any of what those reviews said at all. I felt the excursions were as good as any cruise line. They all tend to use the same local vendors to me. It's hard to read reviews, I have read some and I was on the same ship and wonder how could that be I was there and it was great ! Relax and go and have a fantastic time!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
janfred, I've had the exact same thing happen several times: I've read a review of a cruise I was actually on and wondered to myself, we're we actually on the same ship? That's when I stopped paying too much attention to reviews.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've put my mind at ease because I am going to listen and take your advice and not pay any attention to the negative responses. Yes, I do know that people will complain, "just to complain", but this is OUR vacation, and I've decided that I will have a wonderful time. LisaP I like what you said that if something is not right, it's good to take care of it right then and there (on the ship). So, although I am not expecting it, but if something is not right, I will handle it at that time, but go with a great attitude and ready to have fun. Thanks everyone, I know know not to really put to much into all the negative posts.

Need some cruise help?
------------------------------
Royal Caribbean - April 2006
Carnival Pride - May - 2008
Upcoming Cruise: Carnival Sunshine - March 2014

Tags
concerned, cruise, upcoming