Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I feel like a bit of a trader but... I am thinking of doing the NCL Dawn out of NY in the fall to Bermuda. I have never done anything but Celebrity. So...how is the Dawn is it OLD, how many pax does it take? How is getting to the NY terminal? I think I need to branch out and try different Cruise Lines, after all these years! I would appreciate any help. I just don't want to be sorry...I know what to expect from Celebrity.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
janfred - The NCL Dawn is a sweet ship with a unique ambiance all her own. She takes rough seas very smoothly and she has an unusually hospitable crew! She is a favorite of a great many cruisers - I have been astounded at the large numbers of repeat Dawn cruisers I inevitably meet on board. I have the good fortune of having done 3 cruises on her and she is in the running for a fourth! Don't be surprised to run into Dawn fans in the double digits once you are aboard!

Designed specifically for the NCL "Freestyle"cruising- she does it remarkably well and she has, no doubt, been one of those 'special" ships that has caused the entire cruise industry to reevaluate how passengers choose to cruise...Her specialty restaurants hold their own against even the finest shore establishments and against the other cruiselines while remaining quite affordable! Her other "no Fee" Dining options are no slouches either (The steak is best served medium rare)- and there is a 24 hour dining venue in addition to room service!

The New York passenger terminal is a snap for getting in and out of-you don't give much indication as to how you will be arriving in NYC so I can't say too much more but taxis in NYC are easy to come by and reasonable from the Rail and Bus Terminals and there is good limo service from the Airplane Patches!!!

We did Bermuda on her last October and loved the long layover at King's Wharf - we really enjoyed using the ship as our center for everything! The Transportation Pass can be bought on the pier and it covers both Bus and Water Taxi tranportation throughout Bermuda.As I recall it was $28/pp for the full length of time in port! You can purchase fewer days for less!

The NCL Dawn was built in 2002 and refurbished in 2005. Her gross tonnage is 91,740 tons with an overall length of 965 feet and a beam of 105 feet. Passenger capacity is 2,224 served by a crew of 1.098. I've just finished convincing my Celebrity loving niece and familty to cruise the Dawn - I envy their plans !!

Try it , You'll Love It!!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM

All I can say is that my co-worker went on her 2 years ago, now, and hasn't stopped raving about her. He's British, never emotional, and very demanding, but he was nearly in tears when he came back from his cruise. He didn't want to leave the ship, and has wanted to sail on her ever since then. Family problems in England and Scotland have been taking his extra money, so he hasn't been able to go. Every time I tell him about cruise specials, he jumps on the internet to see if it's on the Dawn. Since I don't have first hand knowlege , I have to trust his and Billybuzzy's opinions. It sounds like it would be a fantastic voyage!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow, Billybuzzy,
Thank you for taking the time and writing such a nice and detailed review. Penny I also want to thank you for you nice note. I think I will have to give it a try. Billybuzzy, we are going to drive in from Virginia, would we hit alot of nightmare traffic in NY. We would try to get in early morning 10:30 or so. We cruised out of Cape Liberty NJ and that was a breeze, the terminal in NY can't be too far away.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
janfred - If you're heading into NYC at that time in the morning - traffic should not be too bad especially coming from NJ thru the tunnel!! You are off on a great cruise adventure and Bermuda is great - the later in the cruise season - the better the prices ashore!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
2002, built, date, dawn, forums, maiden, ncl, refurb, refurbished, refurbishing, reviews, rough, seas, voyage