Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Default Norwegian Pearl Questions
Hi everyone.

I just have a question about a stateroom category on the Norwegian Pearl, although it looks like the promo is going to be ending soon, and don't know if I'll book that soon. Anyway, my question is regarding the "Obstructed Oceanview" staterooms. According to the deck plans, they're obstructed because of the lifeboats. Those of you that may have stayed in one, is there much of an obstructed view? I know I can always go up to the lounges and open decks if it's warm enough or not raining for the glacier days, which is what I may end up doing, but I'm just curious to know how much of an obstruction the lifeboats are, if any of you have stayed in that stateroom category before. Any advice would be helpful.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Michael,

Generally, obstructed view means you have the top of the lifeboats sitting at floor level, so you can't look directly down at the water. I believe this is true for the Pearl.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I haven't stayed in or visited this category on this class of ship. Yet, in Alaska, it's all about the destination, and the glaciers are best seen from an area that maximizes your view. We had a balcony on our last Alaska cruise and rarely used it. Instead, we went to the common areas, both inside and outside, where we were able to share the experience with others. Often, someone else would spot a glacier calving and shout it out -- I would have missed it had I been in my cabin.

If it were me, I'd save on the cabin and use the difference on shore excursions. JMHO.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Lisa has a good point about the excursions. They tend to be expensive in Alaska.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks Lisa and Dave. I posted in another thread that work threw me a curveball, stating I have to take vacation during the week of June 30th, so that may be a little out of my price range for the balcony / obstructed oceanview rooms, so if I book a cruise for that week, it will probably be just an inside stateroom and I'll just go to the public areas to view the glaciers.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM

We have cruised Alaska a number of times with NCL. Our last time on the Pearl. We did not take a balcony but an Ocean View, picture window. It worked out fine, we also bought the spa package, that was really nice as you could sit in the sauna in the fwd part of the ship and watch the glaciers from there.

We tend not to take any excursions now, we just walk around town and take in the sights and have a brew in a local bar.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Talking
Hi McPayne,

I just got off the Pearl on Sunday...we booked an obstructed view and had a lifeboat completely in our view...except they did have the doors of the lifeboat open so we could see thru...but the windows in that area were only slit windows....about a foot wide and 3 feet high...BUT I don't spend any time in the room except to sleep.....so I never have a problem with an obstructed view....I've had balconies and I think they are overrated for the extra price....

Another thing on the Pearl...they only have ONE "dress up night...OR NOT"....That's what they call it....and we saw lots of shorts in the Summer Palace...where there isn't supposed to be any....and no chilled soups....and a shortened menu...all good, but not many choices....

31 cruises and I'm heading to Alaska in May for our 5th cruise up there ....with an obstructed view:-)....

Bob E

Last edited by Berick1234; 02-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking now being this close to when I would be taking vacation (the week of June 30th), this may not be the best time to book, since it's already about 4 months out. I'm thinking about putting that off for a year, and maybe doing the booking in the fall, for sailing in summer 2014.

Tags
2013, cruise, forum, menu, menus, ncl, norwegian, obstructed, ocean, peal, pearl, reviews, rooms, view, yahoo