Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM

We are going on the PoA Hawaii cruise in November. I logged in to pay the balance which is due by the end of August and I noticed that I already have a stateroom assignment. What does this mean? I didn't think they were assigned until later. We are using the military discount so I am wondering if they hard-code those assignments with the worst rooms! I reserved a balcony room, which they gave us, but when I look at the map, the balcony and the room are the smallest on the deck because they are right in the middle of the ship where the wall bends in. The discount is only 5% so I don't think we should get the short end of the stick here. I am wondering if I need to request a different room?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

We'll need more information. Did you book a guarantee cabin category? What is the specific cabin number you have been assigned? When you book a guarantee and let the cruise line assign the cabin you are rolling the dice. Cabins with larger balconies or in more desirable locations (even in the same category) usually are booked specifically by people. Guaranteed cabins are assigned from what is left over.

Don't assume a deck plan is laid out to scale, especially if it is the middle of the ship where things are generally quite uniform. I also wouldn't leap to the conclusion that NCL intentionally gives people with a military discount the least desirable cabins.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 PM

The POA has nine categories of balconies. BA through BI. Also, be sure your not comparing your cabin to a Suite. As Dave says, we need more information.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM

The cabin is #8062. It was a guarantee, but I guess I was under the impression that it would at least be the room that I paid for with the slight possibility that it might even be better. I didn't know that I could end up with less than what I paid for. I am also surprised that I have already been assigned to a room 3 months early. It just leads me to believe that they locked it in this early so we would have no possibility of a better room since they gave us a discount. I joined the stateroom website that gives the floor plans for all of the ships. Based on the color schemes on the map, I am comparing the same level of room and our room and balcony are clearly much smaller.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 AM

Guarantee rates always do guarantee you'll be in the category you paid for, or an upgraded category. What category did you pay for?

Cruise lines will often assign their guaranteed rooms early on. It's much easier on their yield management department to assign cabins when they can, and not be hit with 1,000 cabins to assign at the last minute.

Sandy
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Cabin 8062 is a BF category. Are you saying you booked a higher category?

Look at this photo of the Pride. Your cabin is one of those with the curved balcony (except you are on the opposite side of the ship). That will be the only real difference - your balcony is curved. Some of the cabins within your category are larger, but they are handicapped cabins. You should be able to click on the image and it will zoom in.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the photo. I can live with that. The floor plan just makes it look like it is cut in half. Thanks everyone for the information! Clearly I didn't do enough homework before booking the trip!

Closed Thread

Tags
america, assignment, bf, cabin, cabins, carnival, category, cruise, guarantee, hawaii, norwegian, picture, pictures, pride, room, side