Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Thumbs down NCL's New Balconies....Bad Idea!!!
Guess What.......if You'll be cruising aboard the NCL Breakaway and her sister ship the Getaway and probably NCL Future Builds......You are going to be enjoying smaller balconies!!
That's right.....They are about 7-8 sq. ft smaller.......there seems to be few good photos of the new and smaller balconies floating around the internet from the commercial sites...and now I know why (and now...you do too!)!!

Experienced cruisers are in for more than a fair share of disappointment!!! It is going to be harder than even to stretch out on most balconies.....even in many of the more expensive categories!!! One of Our favorite parts of cruising has been to enjoy the comfort of stretching out and relaxing on Our moderate yet comfy balcony....for Us it is somewhat of a deal breaker. We treasure NCL, We are Platinum level Latitude Cruisers.....but The Breakaway is simply not Our "cup of tea"....30sq ft balconies are fine for Mice but totally uninviting to those who have cruised before!!!!

We have lost interest in cruising aboard the Breakaway and her sister the Getaway.....We simply cannot justify "paying more....for less!!!"

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Ouch! Boy I hated hearing this. We leave on Sept 29th and we also love sitting out on our balcony too. Pictures of the cabins were really nice and I never even thought about the size of the balcony. I guess one should never assume the balcony will be like all the others we have enjoyed.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM
It appears that the new balconies are approx. 30 sq ft vs 39/40 sq ft on the previous Meyer Werft made ships!! A loss of 25% is a substantial decrease in size to Our way of thinking!! I believe the newest ship from Princess suffers the same size decrease!

When I started cruising sooo many moons ago....few ships had any balconies....they were such a treat......This may be the beginning of a very undesirable trend in ship design...I don't understand Kevin Sheehan's thinking in agreeing to this size reduction!!It is just as likely that this idea was foisted upon NCL by the Shipyard's Design Staff.....to shave a few Euros off the purchase price!! First the crazy Bathrooms on the Epic.....Now the smaller balconies aboard the Breakaway and her sister........NCL does not get an "ATTABOY" from Us on this design!!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank you Billybuzzy.
I always think sometimes that I should stick to what I know and what I am never disappointed in ! I told my husband about the balcony size on our upcoming Breakaway trip and found myself saying, "we need to just stick with what we know we receive from Celebrity" ! I hate to say this but they have yet to disappoint me and I hope they they never do!
I hope the same is true for my first RCCL cruise ! I find it to be a surprise on a few ships that the table is so small, enough for a drink to be placed on it, how do you enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner on your balcony ?? We are so spoiled by a large table and balcony to enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner if we want to. I guess that is why we all are so very fortunate to have choices !

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Last edited by janfred; 08-15-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM
janfred....You have written the real truth of just why We love Our Balconies....It is the quintessential pleasure that experienced cruisers know only too well! We do, on occasion, still sail in certain "special" oceanview staterooms...but Our hearts always lead Us back to the Balcony......Still...Do Your Bermuda adventure....We truly believe You will have a wonderful time.....We wish We were on Your same schedule!!! For Us Bermuda is on Our early Fall 2014 schedule aboard the NCL Dawn It is a budget sailing in an Oceanview.(Yes, We do actively plan and budget our travels 2 years in advance)......but after that....Balconies the rest of Our Wave Season...from Europe late Fall till the middle of Spring 2015!! We can't wait!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Billybuzzy
I know I will have a wonderful time and booked Rock of Ages, Cirque of Dreams and Burn the Floor yesterday. I also booked Teppanyaki and the new Brazillian restaurant Moderno. I wish you were going too, I think you know every nook and cranny of that Island ! This will be number 6 for us and I still need to explore more. I really like the Dawn too. Thought of you the other day watching Rick Steves show us the Ring of Kerry !

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM

I've done the Ring of Kerry several times and will be doing it again next March! You are talking about the ROK in Ireland right? lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Cruise Fanatic and janfred...Yes Indeed, We leave for Shannon in 6 weeks via Aer Lingus.....WE shall be spending much time in An Daingen (Dingle) and DunQuin (The Blaskets) thence on to Valentia Island (the Skelligs) and the Ring of Kerry. Can't wait to drive those Irish Lanes in a Mini! We shan't be cruising but We shall be close to the sea and Mother Ocean!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM

I will be in Dublin next year on St Patrick's Day! Very excited. It will be my 6th time to Ireland.

Tags
8162013, bad, balconies, breakaway, cabins, combine, dawn, forum, getaway, internet, ncl, norwegian, password, predict, ship, undesirable