Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Breakaway Broken (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/39978-breakaway-broken.html)

billybuzzy 05-04-2014 06:24 PM

Breakaway Broken

The NCL Breakaway had trouble entering New York Harbor this morning (5/4/14)on its return from a 7 day cruise to the Bahamas. She has reported Steering problems with Her Azipod Propulsion Systems and had to be towed into Her berth!

BillyBuzzy

MCPayne 05-04-2014 07:24 PM

Looks like the sailing today went ahead as scheduled, even though it was a delayed departure, according to the NCL website. Not sure if this will impact the itinerary / ports of call.

janfred 05-04-2014 07:48 PM

I am hoping this is a quick fix. We head out to leave on the Breakaway on May 11th and then go right over to Cape Liberty on May 18th to do another trip to Bermuda. I wouldn't want to be late and miss the Celebrity Summit going back to Bermuda !!

MCPayne 05-04-2014 09:05 PM

We may not know anything until the first scheduled port of call on the current voyage. From what I'm reading, it looks like it was a combination of the propulsion / steering mechanisms and strong tides. If you just google Norwegian Breakaway that should return lots of hits regarding the incident today.

billybuzzy 05-07-2014 05:20 PM

It has been reported in the news that the NCL Breakaway's Steering and Propulsion problem in New York Harbor was due to a collision with a 30 ton whale. The Breakaway is doing fine, sailing well and is on Her scheduled itinerary. Unfortunately, the whale did not do very well...Its' battered and much bruised carcass was found floating in the Hudson the following day!!! Mystery and Problem Solved.

BillyBuzzy

janfred 05-07-2014 06:16 PM

Billybuzzy, thank you for the update. We were so sorry to hear about the whale to tell you the truth, however we were also worried to miss the sailing or be late for the 18th of May return to head out to Cape Liberty to board the Celebrity Summit back to Bermuda.
It is strange for a whale to be so close in the New York Harbor, isn't it ?

MCPayne 05-07-2014 08:39 PM

Thanks Billybuzzy. I hadn't heard anything about that, even though I live in Central New Jersey. I thought I read something that the tides may have been an issue as well.

I didn't see anything on NCL's website, so I had assumed (and now it's been confirmed by you) that the Breakaway would be sailing her usual itinerary.

Janfred, you're lucky. Back to back cruises, but on different ships? Just be aware of the NYC traffic, especially through the Lincoln Tunnel, or however the route may be that you're getting from NYC to Bayonne.

janfred 05-08-2014 05:15 AM

McPayne we got 2 great deals and decided to try it. Getting back into NY at I think 8 AM we saw where Cape Liberty was 11 miles from the Manhattan Pier and felt we had lots of time. We have used both Piers but never doing 1 Pier to the next. It's a Sunday morning so we are feeling ok about it. Do you know the best route to take from NY to the NJ Pier? We were just going to head North like we were going back to Virginia and look for the signs.

MCPayne 05-08-2014 04:27 PM

janfred, no I don't know the best route. I'm not sure of the exact location of the Manhattan pier, but I would guess the West Side Highway to the Holland Tunnel. I know I said Lincoln earlier, but the Holland may be your better bet. After going through the Holland Tunnel stay to the right and follow signs for the NJ Turnpike. If you can get into the right lane before entering the tunnel, that would help. Take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14-A, and follow signs for the Bayonne Pier.

As an alternate, take the Lincoln Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike South. When the roadway splits, stay to the right where it indicates "To Exits 14-14A-14B-14C; Cars, Trucks/Buses. Take the exit I think that is marked "Exits 14-14A-14B-14C, then stay to the left for "Exits 14A 14B, 14C." Take the NJ Turnpike Extension to exit 14A, and follow signs for the Bayonne Pier.

In your cruise docs, or on the cruise line website, it should display directions, as it sounds like you're driving.

MCPayne 05-08-2014 05:48 PM

janfred, here is a link to the directions to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne.