Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Health insurance (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/4650-health-insurance.html)

It's me amanda 07-25-2010 09:06 AM

Might be a silly question but.... If we are on a cruise to Mexico (from Miami) and something happens eg, accident..... Are we covered? Do we need to take out some sort of insurance? Does our American health INS cover us? Again, might be a silly question but this is a first for us.....THANKS

Dave 07-25-2010 09:30 AM

If you mean can you show your Blue Cross card to a doctor in Mexico, no, it is no good. You'd have to pay everything out-of-pocket and then see if your U.S. based health insurer would cover any of it by submitting a claim when you got home. It depends on the policy.

This is why I urge everyone to buy travel insurance for a cruise, and get a policy which has medical coverage as well as medical evacuation coverage. If you are seriously injured in Mexico or on some island, a medical evacuation jet to the U.S. can easily top $100,000. Many health insurers do not cover any of it.

Go to Insure My Trip and you can compare policies and see what is best for you. Also note that pre-existing conditions may not be covered unless you buy a policy within X days of making the cruise booking (varies by insurer). Thus if you have a known medical condition and it causes a problem while on the cruise, the travel insurer doesn't have to cover payments as a result.

MCPayne 07-25-2010 09:30 AM

Hi Amanda.

You may want to check with your insurance company, or consider purchasing travel insurance. If you purchase insurance you have the peace of mind knowing you're covered should something happen.

Berick1234 08-15-2010 10:17 AM

Buy the insurance, better safe than sorry...I've been on many cruises where someone has to be airlifted for many reasons...sickness, accident, etc....it's well worth the peace of mind....I've never had to use the insurance, but I know it's there if I have to. Happy and safe sailing....

Bob E

wooddon 08-16-2010 05:22 AM

Be on the safe side and buy extra insurance. We always buy the high end insurance, but it's up to you.

pink845 08-19-2010 09:07 PM

Amanda,

I am from Canada and would never even cross the border into New York to shop without having insurance so being on a cruise ship travelling to foreign ports, insurance medical/ trip cancellation / trip interruption is a must. My son fell off the bed in Hawaii one year (jumping of course) and hurt his ankle. It would have cost us $5,000 to get his ankle fixed up without the insurance. Another time I got food poisoning in Bahamas and had to come home early. Another time my older son, got pneumonia days before we were to leave on a $10,000 RCCL family cruise and (we got every little penny back). Check you credit card. We have a platinum one that comes with major insurance as long as we book our holiday on that credit card. I just spoke to a lady last night at a party who had to fly her mom home from St. Maarten because the lady fell and broke her hip and needed surgery. the cost for the hospital to stabilize her and then make the flight back to Canada with a nurse on board was $30,000. nEVER TAKE A CHANCE.

It's me amanda 08-21-2010 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info... I went ahead and took out extra insurance