Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 AM

Going on a New England cruise end of Sept on NCL. What should we expect weather wise? Are jeans and sport shirts exceptable for the excurisions? Any recomendations on excurisions would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.com! Which cruise are you taking -- Norwegian Dawn 7-day from NY, Norwegian Jewel 10-day from NY, or Norwegian Spirit 7-day Boston to Quebec City?

In any case, jeans are perfectly OK for shore excursions. At that time of year, you'll also need a light jacket and/or sweatshirt. As temperatures will vary, bring clothing that can be layered.

Below are average temperatures and rainfall for a few of the ports, per weather.com. Temperatures will likely be between those listed for September and October, as there is a big difference here between early September (still summery) and late October.

Halifax
September 71F/56F
October 55/41
Rainfall 3.6-4.0 inches

Quebec City
September 64F/44F
October 51/35
Rainfall 3.6-4.0 inches (Sept. is rainier)

Boston
September 73F/57F
October 62/46
Rainfall 3.4-3.8 inches

Let us know your itinerary and the types of excursions you're seeking (history, nature, adventure, for example). I've been on 5 or 6 C/NE cruises and also live here.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks LisaP.......we will be on Norwegian Dawn and this is our first NE cruise and first NCL cruise. Not our first cruise however; four in Caribbean and one Med cruise. Likely looking more at the historical or nature excursions. Sun New York City
Mon At Sea - - - -
Tue Halifax 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Wed Saint John (Bay Of Fundy) 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
Thu Bar Harbor 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Fri Boston 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
Sat Newport 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
Sun New York City 8:00 AM
I appreciate you help and will share with the other 6 couples that are going with us.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator

This is a superb itinerary for both history and nature. In Halifax, you have a choice. Nature lovers can head to Peggy's Cove (I'd do this through the ship's shore excursion department)...yet, as Bar Harbor and Newport are also on your itinerary, it may be worthwhile to stay in Halifax. There's so much history there -- the ship docks right next to the Pier 21 Immigration museum, occasionally referred to as Canada's Ellis Island. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is about a 10- to 15-minute walk from there, and has many exhibits on Halifax history, including the explosion that leveled the city in 1917. Halifax was also the recovery site of the Titanic tragedy, and the museum has a wonderful exhibit there. You can also visit the graveyards... I did this on a ship tour that had excellent (and non-romanticized) commentary. The Citadel Fort is atop a hill...another historical site to visit.

Saint John and Bar Harbor (Acadia National Park) are all about the scenery. Sightseeing tours are great here.

Boston -- easily done on your own if you don't mind walking. The Freedom Trail loops through the city along the historical sites. The cruise line will have a shuttle that drops you off pretty close to the route. There are also hop-on-hop-off buses that take you to more of the city.

Newport -- mansions, synagogue, tennis hall of fame are all nice to visit. The last two don't take a lot of time. If you visit mansions, I recommend doing no more than two. Yet, definitely stroll along the Cliff Walk that is behind the mansions, and watch the Atlantic crash against the rocks below.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 AM
hi lisap hope all is well with you I am doing a msc cruise in late oct for 13 days to panama I am trying to get a roll call started on one of the other sites but seem no one hangs out there does msc have a forum here hope all is well with your family Fran
Old 08-23-2010, 06:46 AM
looking for or to start a roll call for MSC POESIA

Quote:
Originally posted by peachcrek:
hi lisap hope all is well with you I am doing a msc cruise in late oct for 13 days to panama I am trying to get a roll call started on one of the other sites but seem no one hangs out there does msc have a forum here hope all is well with your family Fran
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi Peachcrek,
We have a roll call section here for other lines. I sailed on the MSC Poesia last April. I enjoyed it and thought the ship was very nice. A lot of people complain about the food on MSC and say it's bad. I felt the food was fine. Some dishes are just prepared different. Different is not bad. For instance, I ordered a chicken filet dish which normally is baked or braised. On MSC it came with a light breading. MSC is an Italian style cruise line and caters to Europeans, so I think you will find dishes more to their tastings. I felt the dishes had more sauces and breading. I didn't have a problem with the food. Maybe the only thing I thought wasn't up to my taste was the prime rib. It wasn't as tasty and juicy as I'm used to. I hope you enjoy your cruise on MSC Poesia.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Redmutt:
Going on a New England cruise end of Sept on NCL. What should we expect weather wise? Are jeans and sport shirts exceptable for the excurisions? Any recomendations on excurisions would be appreciated.
Pack a pair of shorts also cause you can't predict an Indian summer.
Excursions? We did the Peggy's Cove trip thru the ship and found it well worthwhile-----especially if your tour guide is knowledgeable about the area. My only advice for Bar Harbor is that if you do the Acadia bus tour make sure that they spend at least 45 minutes at the summit. We were allowed only 20 minutes and it is far too short of time. Also would highly recommend West St Cafe for a reasonable ($25) lobster lunch.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM
As mentioned above, weather can be variable that time of year, so take at least one pair of shorts just in case, and a sweater that can be worn under your jacket for the other extreme. Also take raincoat.
In Halifax, the maritime museum is great. You can also get a tour of the Alexander Keith's brewery which is a short walk from the pier.
In Boston the shuttle will drop you off at the market. You can pick up guided walking tours at the Boston Common a short walk from there.
Bar Harbour has a nice trail along the harbour if you want a walk.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
boston, cruise, england, excursions, forums, jewel, late, nature, norwegian, ny, october, reivews, review, reviews, shuttle, weather