Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Are members able to shed any light on our predicament? On our last cruise we were registered as Silver members (at least 5 completed cruises). We were in the process of downloading our e docs for an upcoming Panama Canal cruise on the Star in November when we noticed our status had been changed back to Bronze, thinking this was a “typo” we called NCL and were told that there were no records of a cruise we took in 1998 as they were now on a “new computer system” we were asked to prove we had indeed taken that cruise by faxing them documentation, we found receipts and other records of the cruise and expected that our silver status would be reestablished. After a few weeks we called and e mailed NCL asking why this was not reflected in our still to be down loaded e docs. Now we are told due to a policy change back to back cruises only counted as one cruise and since we unfortunately had taken a back to back in 2008 we were no longer Silver members.

We find this a little hard to take when rules are changed mid stream, nothing we can really do but it does leave a bit of a sour taste. On our last correspondence with NCL the e mail stated their position and we would again become Silver members after our next cruise is complete and quote “we should have a nice day” We feel as passengers we should not be penalized for taking back to backs.

There are only a couple more perks to being a silver member however we do feel a little cheated and as a good will gesture they could reinstate us. We have always been very loyal to NCL and really enjoy freestyle.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Maybe I missed it, but I just read the terms and conditions for Latitudes and it didn't say anything about back-to-back cruises only being worth one credit. Did you have to check out and back in again at the mid-point of the cruises? Or did you keep the same cruise card and account folio?

It sounds like you are getting a runaround.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Well the good news is NCL have, as a courtesy reinstated our Silver status. They pointed out that in the future any back to backs are considered one cruise. I appreciate their consideration and realize they were, as they pointed out not obliged to do this. In the future unless a back to back is worthwhile financially there is no benefit apart from having the same cabin. Thanks for listening to my whining.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for listening to my whining
As far as I am concerned you weren't whining. I know a cruise line can do whatever they want with their loyalty program, but this just doesn't make sense at all. NCL has certainly given you a reason to give them less of your money.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I will say this for Princess: I took an 18 day Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. cruise that was marketed in our area as an 18 day repositioning cruse. But it was also marketed as an 11 day Panama Canal cruise and a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. Even though we kept the same cabin, we received 2 cruise credits because each segment had its own Voyage Number.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Sounds like some kind mess up for sure. If B2B cruises don't count, then they need to update their information. I think they should grandfather in members at their current level when loyalty programs are changed.

Dwayne
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM

I think that B2B cruises should count as 2 cruises with any line. Do they not want repeat customers?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

The basic fact is the OP paid for two cruises.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 PM

I do intend to bring it up on the ship when the desk is not busy. After looking at the prices on their web site there does not appear to be a benefit to booking a back to back. There may be an advantage if only one set of port charges apply though. Another advantage for us is that we live on the West coast and air travel is getting expensive, why not cruise for 14 days after flying all that way? The back to back in question was a Southern Caribbean (9 day) and a Western Caribbean (5) day) on the Jewel in 2008. When we first boarded we received a set of Latitude pins and the usual invite to meet the Captain, then after we re-boarded in Miami another set of pins were in our cabin along with another invite. I am just pleased we now know the rules so to speak, we may never achieve platinum status but I would not want to miss by one disputed cruise.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
When we first boarded we received a set of Latitude pins and the usual invite to meet the Captain, then after we re-boarded in Miami another set of pins were in our cabin along with another invite
Sounds like two cruises to me.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, booking, count, cruises, edocs, latitude, latitudes, loyalty, member, membership, ncl, perks, points, program, silver, statertoom, status