Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 06:54 AM

I received this announcment from NCL and thought anyone sailing on the Dawn or considering it would find this interesting:

NCL announces partnership with famed Second City troupe. Norwegian Dawn is first cruise ship to feature renowned improvisational ensemble
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) announced its exclusive partnership with the famed sketch and improvisation troupe, The Second City.
Beginning this month, six performers from the storied comedy empire will quip, sing and laugh their way through a special customized comedy revue aboard Norwegian Dawn on each of her roundtrip sailings from New York City.

Performing an inventive and hilarious medley of satirical skits, songs, and improvisation, The Second City is always original, daring, and wildly entertaining. A world-class comedic troupe, The Second City has long been recognized as incubator for celebrities and is famous for encouraging the talents of many great performers, including: Bill Murray, Bonnie Hunt, Chris Farley, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jeremy Piven, George Wendt, Mike Myers, Gilda Radner, John Belushi, Tim Meadows and Tina Fey.

"There's nothing better than a great laugh - especially while on vacation - which is why we're proud to be the first cruise line to offer such high-level comedic performances aboard one of our ships," said Colin Veitch, NCL's president and CEO.

The Second City has spent 45 years entertaining audiences from Chicago to Toronto, Las Vegas to London, Bahrain to Baghdad. It only seems fitting that in our anniversary year we would be provided the opportunity to extend our comic reach to the seas," said Kelly Leonard, vice president of The Second City. "We are thrilled to partner with Norwegian Cruise Line - their dedication to excellence sets a standard we are proud to meet."

In addition to performing one night each sailing, The Second City ensemble will introduce the art and philosophy of improvisation to Norwegian Dawn passengers by hosting onboard workshops. Drawing on The Second City's history of ensemble improvisation, satire and revue comedy, these workshops will be dedicated to exploring passengers' artistic voices and providing the tools and techniques needed to express those voices.

"The Second City troupe will also offer children's workshops through NCL's popular Kids Crew program," said Keith Cox, NCL's vice president of entertainment and onboard programming.
"In addition to being fun and interactive, these workshops will introduce youngsters to many of the important principles of improvisation, such as the value of listening, working as a team and the amazing results of saying 'yes, and' rather than 'no, but.'"

The touring troupe onboard Norwegian Dawn will be comprised of Brian Morris (Musical Director); Joe Canale; Molly Erdman; Paul Grondy; Kevin McGeehan; and Sue Salvi.

"The Best of Second City" will replace Norwegian Dawn's current Music of the Night performance, which features the musical scores of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Nancy:

Any idea how long Second City will be aboard the Dawn?

We have to wait until December to sail (too long and I can't beleive that I'm wishing for the NEXT snow season to come when this one hasn't even ended)

We had amazing entertainment when we sailed her in March of 04 so it will be interesting to see them top themselves!

Darryl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-27-2005, 04:40 PM

It's been awhile since I have been here, but I remembered reading this post and was wondering if anyone knew if this was an ongoing thing, if it is being done now, or will be down the road. I will be on the Dawn soon and a fan of Second City - would love to know if this is still happening.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Good question - I will see if I can find out an answer for you.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
city, cruise, dawn, hollywood, kevin, line, long, mcgeehan, norwegian, norweigian, salvi, second, ship, sue, troupe