Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM

I recently went on a 7 day Holand American cruise to Europe and it was terrible. The food was nasty, service terrible,there was no body on the cruise my age,and the entertainment was also bad. All the people on the cruise were of retirement age and I went on it because I was on a study abroad trip. So, now I am trying to find a cruise that is much better then what I had to deal with on my study abroad trip for my honeymoon.
Is a Norwegian Cruise very expensive? We plan to go on a Western Carribbean cruise out of Florida and then get off in Jamiaca to go to our Sandals resort. Do we have to let the cruise staff know that we plan on getting off in Jamaica and not stay on for a round trip? Can we get a cheaper price if we plan on getting off earlier? If we want a honeymoon package do we have to pay for that on top of the room price? Is there hidden fees for things because on the Holand America Cruise they were constantly trying to get my money? How much is alcholic drinks? Do they hold your money from your credit card for your on board spending? Holand America held $60 dollars a day to make sure we had enough money to spend on the ship and had to use our room keys as our payment card. The money that was held was given back to me two weeks after I got off the cruise and made me go over in my account.What restaurants come with the cruise price? What restaurants cost extra money? Does room service come with the price of the room or do you have to pay extra for that? How much does a couples massage cost? Does the rooms have mini bars and do they cost a lot of money?
Can you swim in the pools at any time of the day or night? What kind of entertainment does the ships have? How many clubs do they have? Can you still do things on the ship when you are at port or do you basically have to get off because there is nothing to do? What kind of entertainment do they have? Do they have entertainment for all ages or kinds of people? I like to dance, sing, drink, and not have to go into debt would this cruise line be the best for me? Does any of the rooms have hot tubs in them and have king size beds?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Mel,

It is Holland America. They are a Premium cruise line. I don't know who set up your education trip but they should have advised you better on what to expect. I doubt the food was nasty. You just aren't used to eating the type of fine food served on Holland America. Fine food meaning exotic escargot, foods served with different sauces, etc.

Norwegian Cruise Line is probably more of a match for your age. A cruise ship is not meant to be a ferry providing transportation for you to get off at any island to go on a land vacation. That's what planes are for. I would strongly suggest you find a cruise oriented Travel Agent in your area to talk to about your honeymoon. They can answer all your concerns.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Judging by your questions - I think you're just lucky to get someone to go with you. I think you should have a serious talk with a local travel agent. You just might be happier going to some resort in the Caribbean.

Sonny
Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat. Many of your questions are answered on NCL's Web site, located here. I'm not trying to pass the buck -- but there's a lot of information there that we don't have the space to summarize here.

As the others have mentioned, I highly suggest that you use a cruise-certified travel agent for your booking and to make other arrangements. I doubt that getting off the ship permanently along the way is possible. Depending upon the itinerary, the Passenger Services Act may prohibit it. (This would apply to any cruise line you might be considering, not just NCL.) Again, this is something that a competent travel agent can discuss with you.

As for your initial question about prices -- a lot depends upon the size of the stateroom you select, as well as other factors. Either way, it's a mighty expensive way to get to Jamaica, if Sandals is your primary reason for the trip.

Good luck with your planning, and congratulations on your wedding.

Closed Thread