Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/)
-   -   Reposition Cruise on Star (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-line/5916-reposition-cruise-star.html)

juliebomb 01-28-2005 02:59 PM

Hello-
I am scheduled on a re-positioning cruise on the Star in May. Since, apparently this is only done once/year I was wondering about the ports of call (Catalina Island/SF/Seattle/ Victoria/Vancouver). Will there be excursion on board to book or will we have to book them ourselves? Also heard they remodeled some of the cabins. We are in a suite on the 11th deck. Is this true? What are the best restaurants to book for a nice steak dinner? Is it possible to be upgraded to a nicer suite when we get on board? We are Latitude members...are our chances any better? Looking forward to a great cruise.

juliebomb 01-28-2005 02:59 PM

Hello-
I am scheduled on a re-positioning cruise on the Star in May. Since, apparently this is only done once/year I was wondering about the ports of call (Catalina Island/SF/Seattle/ Victoria/Vancouver). Will there be excursion on board to book or will we have to book them ourselves? Also heard they remodeled some of the cabins. We are in a suite on the 11th deck. Is this true? What are the best restaurants to book for a nice steak dinner? Is it possible to be upgraded to a nicer suite when we get on board? We are Latitude members...are our chances any better? Looking forward to a great cruise.

NancyN 01-29-2005 05:38 AM

Hi Julie,
Welcome to cruise-chat. I was on an Alaska cruise on the Star in August and without question for the best steak dinner on the ship make reservations at Cagney's. Here is an excerpt from my mega-review of this ship regarding Cagney's:

"Cagney’s Steakhouse was a classic on par with Ruth Chris’s. The room is attractive and comfortable. It reminded me of a traditional “Chicago Style” steakhouse. Although Cagney’s is the most expensive of the alternative dining choices ($20 cover), it is definitely warranted. I could have dined here nightly and gladly paid the additional cover. My filet mignon was perfection! It was perhaps the most tender filet I have ever had and veritably melted in my mouth. The waiter was attentive and personable making the dining experience that much more enjoyable. Dining here was a real treat and I delighted in every moment."

You will find a very good steak at Le Bistro also, but if everyone is planning to order steak - Cagney's wins.

Nancy

NancyN 01-29-2005 05:42 AM

OOOPS! Sorry, I forgot to answer your port question. Yes, there will be shore excursions offered from the cruise line at each of those ports.
Nancy

01-29-2005 06:27 AM

Julie

It is aways possible to upgrade, as long as what you seek is not sold. Before boarding and going to the pursers desk to ask for an upgrade, ask to speak to the purser at the check in counter, and ask for an upgrade there. Depending on the purser, how busy he is, etc., he might upgrade you there. I upgraded to a suite from an oceanview for $300, on Grandeur of the Seas.

David