Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM

We are going on our first 10 Day Hawaiian Cruise sailing on the Wind. Does anyone have any advice to give us. Ports, Excursions, how to get place? Any advice would be helpful. We go June 9-19.
NHC
Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM

We are going on our first 10 Day Hawaiian Cruise sailing on the Wind. Does anyone have any advice to give us. Ports, Excursions, how to get place? Any advice would be helpful. We go June 9-19.
NHC
Old 03-28-2004, 04:00 AM

Each island offers a unique experience. If possible I would do at least one helicopter tour and if you only do one, make it in Kauai. You can book this when you get off the ship at the pier. In Maui go to Kaanapali Beach (there is a shopping shuttle to Whaler's Village or a city bus that runs from the pier that costs $1) or take the downhill bicycle tour at Haleakala. In Hilo, visit Akaka Falls (and Rainbow Falls if time). I would also suggest the Volcano - but it was relatively dormant when I was there a few weeks ago and not much to see (of course the Thurston Lava Tube is still prety interesting). If you want to see the volcano & falls -rent a car. In Kona - hit one of the beautiful beaches, or stay in town and shop.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-25-2004, 07:09 PM

I just got back three days ago from an 11 day cruise, vancouver to hawaii. My very first cruise, and first major holiday. I was so impressed. The staff treats you like royalty. I was on deck 9, and had room stewards desiree and errol. They sure know their business. Genuine and courteous. They really made our trip special. We did the volcano 4 mile hike, and really enjoyed it.(that was docking at Hilo.) We had very knowledgeable tour guides. There were only four guests on this excursion. Myself, my two 17 year old daughters, and another lady. Myself and daughters are very fit, and had no trouble negotiating the landscape. Adequate footwear is a must. For somereason we saw people wearing sandals, and scratched our head at that one. I emphasize, you must be physically capable of negotiating the lava terrain. Includes a little jumping, some sure footedness.We had a great lunch up at the crater, and the lava tube was a great site.We did some snorkeling in Kona, but paid off shore (when you get off the tender, turn left and the facility is right there.) My daughters rented the stuff for about 4$.My daughters did the catch a wave excursion and had a blast.They learned how to surf, were provided with proper wet suits, excellent instruction, attentive instructors, and all the pics taken by theiremployee photographer were put on a cd. Excellent shots. The cd was 25$ but well worth it. I could never had got the same angle or closeups. Hilo hatties is a hawaiin tourist trap, that enticed us due to their free shuttle service. We did go there once but it was enough. We went kayaking in kauai, two miles up a river (very easy), and then trekked through a jungle like excursion. Was VERY muddy and wet (stepping in creeks etc.). When they offer you their free miscellaneous aqua shoes, take them up on that offer. They do rent them for 6 bucks, if your size isn't in the free bunch. We had two young guides and they were a lot of fun. Went swinging on a rope to jump into a swimming hole.Sounds and sights are wonderful. Didn't do anything in Honolulu, as our ship got in at 7, and we had to catch a plane at 130 pm. Don't book the bus to the airport at 20$ a person. We took a cab and for the three of us was only $16.35. We had help at the disembarkation pier with our luggage by a very buff ex-edmonton eskimos football player who not only livfted our suticases like they were air-filled, but found us a cap, and loaded them into the cab for us. Hope this info helps and enjoy your cruise. I would go again tomorrow if I could.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 PM

Sounds like your trip was great! Am glad to hear that. We are going BC to Hawaii in September. How was the 5 days at sea going over?

Thanks,
Jill

quote:
Originally posted by leesonlpn:
I just got back three days ago from an 11 day cruise, vancouver to hawaii. My very first cruise, and first major holiday. I was so impressed. The staff treats you like royalty. I was on deck 9, and had room stewards desiree and errol. They sure know their business. Genuine and courteous. They really made our trip special. We did the volcano 4 mile hike, and really enjoyed it.(that was docking at Hilo.) We had very knowledgeable tour guides. There were only four guests on this excursion. Myself, my two 17 year old daughters, and another lady. Myself and daughters are very fit, and had no trouble negotiating the landscape. Adequate footwear is a must. For somereason we saw people wearing sandals, and scratched our head at that one. I emphasize, you must be physically capable of negotiating the lava terrain. Includes a little jumping, some sure footedness.We had a great lunch up at the crater, and the lava tube was a great site.We did some snorkeling in Kona, but paid off shore (when you get off the tender, turn left and the facility is right there.) My daughters rented the stuff for about 4$.My daughters did the catch a wave excursion and had a blast.They learned how to surf, were provided with proper wet suits, excellent instruction, attentive instructors, and all the pics taken by theiremployee photographer were put on a cd. Excellent shots. The cd was 25$ but well worth it. I could never had got the same angle or closeups. Hilo hatties is a hawaiin tourist trap, that enticed us due to their free shuttle service. We did go there once but it was enough. We went kayaking in kauai, two miles up a river (very easy), and then trekked through a jungle like excursion. Was VERY muddy and wet (stepping in creeks etc.). When they offer you their free miscellaneous aqua shoes, take them up on that offer. They do rent them for 6 bucks, if your size isn't in the free bunch. We had two young guides and they were a lot of fun. Went swinging on a rope to jump into a swimming hole.Sounds and sights are wonderful. Didn't do anything in Honolulu, as our ship got in at 7, and we had to catch a plane at 130 pm. Don't book the bus to the airport at 20$ a person. We took a cab and for the three of us was only $16.35. We had help at the disembarkation pier with our luggage by a very buff ex-edmonton eskimos football player who not only livfted our suticases like they were air-filled, but found us a cap, and loaded them into the cab for us. Hope this info helps and enjoy your cruise. I would go again tomorrow if I could.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:13 AM

Hi Jill,
Having taken a similar cruise in October, I can tell you the seas can get a bit rough during the 5 day crossing. It seems that wind was our biggest problem. What is most interesting is the gradual temperature change you will experience each day as you draw closer to Hawaii. Nothing like experienceing all 4 seasons in a 5 day period.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-24-2004, 10:46 AM

We are sailing on Aug.11.
Is that your cruise?

Thanks for asking good questions.
Steve

Closed Thread

Tags
akaka, crater, cruise, disembarkation, falls, hawaiian, hike, honolulu, line, norwegian, problem, review, wind