Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Just now got throught to ncl about the Dawn, this is what I was told, we would receive a full refund for our 14 day cruise, plus 50% off on our next booking, but this is 50% off of what this cruise costed us, so say if we spent $1000.00,for this cruise on our next cruise we would have a $500.00 credit toward that cruise. The ppl who were already on the ship when it went down will recieve 75%. Yes I did have travel ins. with the cruise, but we booked our own air travel, so am told we would only get up to 150.00 toward our ticket to get home, doesn't matter if we spent 600 to get there to catch the cruise that is what I am told, and doesn't look like we'll get anything back on the 3 nights we had to spend in miami before we could catch a flight out. Any idea's anyone
thanks Wendy
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Administrator

For newcomers, the first part of this thread is located here. To summarize, Wendy was booked on a 14-night Norwegian Dawn cruise that consisted of two segments. The first, a 5-night was cancelled; the second was not, and they did not learn about it until after returning home.

Wendy, I am so glad that NCL refunded your cruise cost and gave you a credit toward the next one.

As for travel insurance, I suggest that next time, buy a policy through an outside company rather than through the cruise line. These policies can be built to cover all costs, not just those related to the cruise. You can compare policies on a site called insuremytrip.com.

That doesn't help you now, though. I just took a quick read through the policy, and I'm not convinced that your hotel expenses will not be covered. Perhaps call the insurance company directly to find out. BUT - let's hear from some others with more knowledge of travel insurance claims before you do so, as I haven't had to do this for myself.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM

this is what ncl told me, but untill I see the credit in my credit bill I won't know forsure what the cruise decided to do. when I tried to retrive my reservation on ncl cruise site, it has already been removed, when I asked about this they said its cause I don't have a pending cruise booked with them, of course I said I was suppose to have one booked with you lol so its a wait and see game now on what will and won't be paided
Wendy
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Sorry this happened Wendy.

Let's recap.

You'll receive a 100% refund for the 14 day cruise, plus 50% off your next NCL booking. Is this correct?

I tried to figure out NCL's insurance, but it has a lot of fine print. I'm stumped if they'll pay anything beyond the $100 a day for additional travel booked on your own.

Here is a link to what I was reading.

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM

yes my understanding so far is we'll get 100% of our cruise back plus 50% off our next cruise, but only for what this one cost us, so if we paid say $1000 each we'll get $500 each off the next one.
I have also tried to read there fine print on travel ins. and I never even saw what you did about $100 per day for expense, but that would sure help out
wendy
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Wendy, cruise lines' insurance policies are actually administered through an insurance company, such as Berkely Care or similar. After you've had a chance to read through your policy, see if there is a Customer Service telephone number, and talk to the insurance company directly. Or see if NCL can give you the number of the insurance company to call. NCL agents do the best they can, but they are not insurance agents, and it's best to talk directly to the insurance company.

I'm not at all surprised that your reservation is not accessible on NCL's system. The reservation has been canceled and is no longer an active reservation.

Depending on where you are on your credit card billing cycle, you should see your credit in the next cycle or two. It may not be on the next bill you receive. This doesn't mean NCL didn't process the refund; it just means the process was completed after your credit card billing cycle closed for the month. If you call NCL in the next several days, they should be able to tell you the date that the refund went through.

Also, please, in the future, do not start a new discussion each time you have another part of your story to report. Keep it all in one thread, so folks can read everything that's going on all in one place. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM

not sure how to keep it all in one thread otherwise I would lol
thanks
wendy
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM

What I have is called a Travel Protection that was sold to me directly from NCL when I booked the cruise, never recieved anything from anybody on what this travel protection was all about, so I have no number to reach anyone to discuss it with except for the cruise consultant with NCL
wendy
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

To keep it in one thread, just reply... as you've done in the note above mine.

Click on the link Dwayne provided in his post. It includes the policy, as well as a customer service number (on lower right).

Sandy/Dwayne, thanks for looking into this. I don't use cruise line insurance (I purchase independently), so I appreciate your insights and experiences.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 PM

this is turning into a real nightmare for me now, cannot find the page I printed out with the policy number on it, but you were right Sandy did learn it was BerkelyCare, so am not sure if I call them if they can locate our policy numbers or if my cruise consultant who sold it to me when I booked the cruise might even have it, will have to call both tommorrow, so wish me luck with that. Its beginning to feel overwhelming for me!! But won't change my mind about cruising or even crusing with NCL again LOL
Thanks guy, you make me feel better anyhow!!
Wendy

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, card, changing, credit, dawn, find, full, insurance, location, ncl, protection, refund, reservation, review, reviews, travel