Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:57 AM

My last cruise was with NCL http://www.norwegian-cruise-lines.net . Can you still buy liquor by the bottle and take it to your stateroom?
We recently experienced the ridiculous new RCCL policy on the Vision Of the Seas and

can't believe that grown mature adults, that pay for a balcony, can't buy a bottle and have it at our

leisure. Its their reaction to the lawsuits involving intoxicated passengers and we think its absolutely

silly. We aren't hardcore drinkers but it would be nice to have a drink in our room when we want one,

without having to pay "by the drink" for room service. With all of the choices in cruise lines now, I think

that policy will come back to haunt them. If NCL still "trusts" its passengers to drink responsibly, I'll go

back to them.
Any feedback or information will be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, I can certainly understand the cruise lines' actions required to deal with redicilous lawsuit as the majority of passengers come from a culture (I'm not going to mention which one) that has a deep tradition for silly lawsuits and sillyness and ignorance in general.

I've heard of passengers suing the cruise lines for all kinds of things, like that there were no proper instructions how to use the shower facilities.

The cruise lines need to cover their back in all thinkable and unthinkable cases and that again makes the more sensable passengers suffer. It sucks, but this is how far things have gotten.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2006, 12:52 AM

I've just returned from a trip on the Norwegian Wind.

I rang NCL prior to sailing and was advised that I couldn't even take soft drinks on board, not even water!

Deciding this was a terrible policy I openly carried canned soft drinks and bottled water when boarding to see if I'd be challenged. Nobody stopped me taking these on board. In the first port I bought a bottle of Jim Beam and took that aboard in my bag, again this was not challenged.

I think the policy is to force people into paying for beverages onboard. I bought the vast majority of my drinks onboard but do like to have the option to relax with a drink in my room if I wish without paying bar prices. Although the policy exists, NCL do not seem to actively enforce it.

Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised with NCL and would definately use them again.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:20 PM

NCL will provide a bar setup in your cabin with whatever brands you ask for, provided they carry them. I don't know of a crusie line that would allow you to bring your own bottle of alcohol because the sale of alcohol generates revenue for the line. I've heard wine was allowed but there may be a corkage fee. I haven't heard there is a ban on bringing your own soft drinks/water; hope that isn't true because I am planning to bring my own in October.

Closed Thread

Tags
aboard, drinks, ncl, taking