Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 07:04 AM

Hi,
Is anyone cruising in April on the Spirit with a family? Also does anybody have any recomendations for cruising with a family on the Spirit?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

I'm not going anywhere in April.
What type of recommendations are you looking for?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:10 PM

I have been on Carnival and Holland America and this will be the first time on Norwegian. I am wondering if they restrict children from show ect?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Children are allowed into the main shows but, as on all lines, they prefer that kids not sit in the first few rows. We've never had a problem bringing our son into any of the main production shows. In fact, he's now 12 years old and still loves attending with us.

As far as dining, there may be minimum age restrictions for some of the pay restaurants. Yet, there are no restrictions on the main dining rooms.

How old are your children?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:15 PM

They are 2 and 4.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

At 2 and 4, the show lounges will not be a problem, so long as it is not the late, adults-only show, of course. When my son was around those ages, we sat near the back so that we could make a quick exit if necessary.

As for the restaurants, they are too young for LeBistro and the others that require an extra fee, yet there are so many options to choose from, including the main dining room, that you will have no problems finding a nice place to dine as a family.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I heard the food is okay on Norwegian any opinion?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 AM

I think/hope the food is great. It WAS when I was on her last year, but I have read so many so-so reviews that I am staring to wonder if it has changed for the worse or if maybe I don't get out much.

Here is my review from last year. I didn't cover the children issue because mine were at home...http://www.cruisereviews.com/Norwegi...anSpirit14.htm

Hope this helps! I leave on March 26th. I will be sure to post a review when I get back!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM

That is what I keep reading is the food was terrible, I am hoping it isn't!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 PM

i just got off the Spirit yesterday. I traveled with 2 children, 12 and 15. (Hubby had to work...)

Kids programs are fairly good; a bit "lame" at times though. 12 and under must be signed in and out by someone who is 21. Over 12 can come and go as they please.

There was only 1 show that did not allow children, that one was 18 and above. There are absolutely no problems with kids in the front row for shows. Don't believe it. My 12 year old and I sat in the front row for the last show; she was even chosen to participate.

The food is passable. As long as you like chicken and fish you can eat. None of us were thrilled with the main dining rooms - just an appetizer, main course and a dessert. No fancy multiple course meals like on other ships. And the portions in the dining rooms are very small as well. Pretty, but small. We skipped the specialty restaurants. I heard the food was better there, but the hassle of reservations and then paying a lot extra per person didn't make sense. The buffet was, well, a buffet. The food is either too cold or too warm. Hot food gets cold, cold foods warm. There is no kitchen near the buffet; food has to be transported from another location on the ship and loses a lot in transit. The choices are the same every day, with just a few changes here and there. As I said, fish and chicken. Chicken and fish. The cooked to order stir fry is good, but it takes about 5 minutes for each order, and with 1 cook, if the line is more than 2 or 3 people you're in for a long wait.

Room service is the pits. Few choices, sandwiches are made way in advance and stale by the time you get them. Portions are small as well. A fruit plate consists of 1 piece of cantaloupe sliced into 4 little fans, 1 slice of orange, 1 slice of kiwi, 1 or 2 little triangles of pineapple, and 2 triangles of watermelon. It took 3 or 4 of these to keep my kids happy. And the reminder that gratuities are suggested on the menu floored me. I never had a cruise line suggest tipping right on the menu! If you don't tip, the service changes quickly. No cream/sugar with coffee. No condiments with sandwiches. Etc.

Suggestions for traveling with a family:
  • Pack lightly. You don't have much space in these miniature cabins.
  • Bring hangers. You don't have many.
  • Bring a power strip if you plan to charge anything - laptops, cell phones, etc. You only get 1 working plug in the room.
  • Forget about coffee. It's terrible. Period.
  • Get drink cards (actually stickers on the key cards) for kids if they like soda. They're $16, and allow unlimited soda. Almost 50 for adults for the same thing!
  • Know that your service fee is not optional. $10 for adults, $5 for kids 12 and under, per day. And still everyone has their hand out - room service, kids crew counselors, etc.[/list]
    I could go on and on... Any specific questions?

Closed Thread