Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 AM

...Same yard the SS France/Norway was built...

coincidence?????
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
...Same yard the SS France/Norway was built...

coincidence?????
The yard in St Nazaire is well known for building cruise ships, and has delivered lots of well known ships such as the Norwegian Dream, Wind, the QM2 Crystal Serenity lots of MSC ships, Celebrity and RCI ships. So theres nothing special in the fact that the Norway was built there as well.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

I've found some additional information surfing the world wide web about these new ships.

Propulsion motors from Converteam
http://www.converteam.com/converteam...Aker_Yards.pdf

Two 24 MW induction motors powering 2 fixed pitched propellers

Diesels from Cat/Mak
http://www.cat.com/cda/components/fu...9&languageId=7

Three MaK 12 M 43 C and three MaK 16 M 43 C marine engines per vessel, which will form a power plant providing a total of 79.8 MW for ship propulsion and on-board electricity supply.

Elevators/Escalators from Kone
http://www.kone.com/en/main/0,,content=61850,00.html

KONE will design, supply and install altogether 60 custom designed elevators and 12 escalators tailored for passenger and service use.

Meaning 15 elevators and 6 escalators per ship.

One can get frustrated looking for any information about these new ships. But, from what I've been able to find, they will have two conventional propellers and shafts, vs azipods.

Two 24 MW propulsion motors means a total of 48 MW. That's more than the total 42 MW on RCI's Voyager and Freedom class ships using three 14 MW azipods.

Escalators on NCL cruise ships will be a first. I wonder how that will affect the grand stairway in the main atrium? I'm not sure 15 elevators, assuming three banks of five, will be enough for 4,200+ passengers, and that's assuming a few will not be for the crew only.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Elevators/Escalators from Kone
http://www.kone.com/en/main/0,,content=61850,00.html

KONE will design, supply and install altogether 60 custom designed elevators and 12 escalators tailored for passenger and service use.

Meaning 15 elevators and 6 escalators per ship.
I can't believe my math is that bad. I meant to write 30 elevators per ship, not 15. So I take back all that I wrote earlier about 15 elevators not being enough, as there will be more than 15 of them on each ship.

Closed Thread

Tags
money, ss, states, united, waste