Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Our long-awaited return to Norwegian Dream was nice, overall. There were several glitches, however, that I attribute to being on the first cruise of the season. Supplies ran low, new crew and old crew hadn't yet gelled, and the port of Boston didn't have it all together yet. Hopefully, these will improve with time.

It also rained the whole time, so that kept everyone indoors. I suspect this cruise will get a lot of bad reviews due to the combination of the weather and the kinks mentioned above.

I had a great time, though. My goals were to leave life behind for a couple of days and to check out changes made to a favorite ship. Both goals were exceeded. I'll have a review in a couple of weeks (my trusted journal was with me again). In the meantime, if you have any questions, let me know.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Lisa, welcome back. Happy to here overall it was a good cruise and sorry to hear about the glitches.

Are they doing a good job of maintaining the ship? Just wonering since it's not going to be among their fleet much longer and that sometimes means they aren't as on their toes with keeping them in tip-top shape.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Thank you, Neil. The ship seemed to be in great shape. Of course, she's 16 years old and it shows in some places -- such as bathroom decor -- yet she appeared very clean to me. Carpeting was in great shape; mattresses were firm and extremely comfortable. As with most ships, there was a lot of cleaning going on regularly, shining of banisters and the like. She just came out of a drydock and I'm not certain as to what was done.

The only issue I learned regarding the impact of her short time remaining in the NCL fleet was that NCL will NOT be implementing Freestyle 2.0 on N. Dream.

LisaP
Old 05-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info, always good to get the scoop from folks coming off a ship.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 AM

Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate and they ran short of supplies. Is Boston a new port of debarkation for NCL?

I am glad to hear, though, that your missions were accomplished and you were able to get a little R & R. It won't be long and you'll be off again! Welcome home!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 AM
LisaP-Welcome Home! We are all glad for your return and that you were able to enjoy the cruise despite the weather! Those are the marks of the true cruiser. I'll bet that with the short time remaining that instituting the F2 policies is inappropriate for the Dream. Still we will be anxiously awaiting your review and We are happy to see you have other upcoming cruises-so long as you have those-you still have part of youself "at sea"!

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

valentine, sorry to hear that so many things went wrong for you on this cruise. It wasn't a perfect one for us, either, but we went with the flow. Trust me in that this cruise was definitely out of the ordinary for NCL.

I'd like to address some points made in the above post.

Embarkation lines: We arrived to the ship at 4:00 pm, and the lines weren't bad then. Yet, we did hear that they were bad from noon until about 2:00. I attribute this to lack of communication between Massport and the cruise line. This was the first cruise of the season (that included embarkation), and it was clear that most were either either out of practice or new to the job.

Muster drill: Yes, it was long, but nowhere near an hour. Maybe 20 minutes.

Understaffing: Yes, that was definitely an issue, and one that should not have happened in the first place.

Weather: Very bad, but out of the line's control. There were storms up and down the New England coast...tough to avoid them.

Breakfast: I am looking at my Freestyle Daily for Saturday, and it indicates that the Sports Bar & Grill and both dining rooms closed for breakfast at 10:00. That is why there was no food available when you arrived around that time.

The Key Card: We were told numerous times that we needed to have this to debark, both in the final morning program (included with Saturday's Freestyle Daily) and in many of the announcements made that morning.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm picking apart the post, as there some valid statements within it, such as the embarkation waits, understaffing, waits for dinner (although I didn't experience this personally as we went early), and the lines (or should I say mobs) at the bars. But as I mentioned in my initial post, the bad weather kept everyone indoors, exacerbating the understaffing situation.

Now that it's been a couple of days since we disembarked, and the post-cruise euphoria has faded, we are indeed remembering more about this cruise we did not like. Some crew members had no idea about the cruise line or the ship, service was spotty, and Freestyle Dining does not work well on this ship. Yet for me, this was more than offset by the food (I'll admit this is subjective), our very comfortable cabin, and the wonderful performance by Jane L. Powell. Yet, the understaffing was a huge issue, and I truly hope NCL gets this cleared up soon -- otherwise there will be many unhappy pax this summer.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

The pedicure from hell is enough for me. I'll never sail with NCL again!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Is Boston a new port of debarkation for NCL?
Penny, I only just realized I didn't answer your question. My apologies. NCL has been sailing out of Boston for at least a decade -- mainly Bermuda cruises in the summer. I think what happened was that a very large number of pax arrived at the same time, and they just got overwhelmed. Inexperience might have played a role here, too. The Latitudes line was nice, but completely bypassed where the photographers were set up for the embarkation photo. I did hear they provided snacks and beverages for those standing in line... in fact, our travel companions still had their snacks with them when they boarded after a 2-hour wait. (And they were on the Latitudes line, also.)

And to Penny and Billy, thank you for your kind words.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM

My wife and I went on this cruise, which was our first. Overall I have to say we loved it. While the weather was a bit choppy (the captain appeared to be maintaining steerageway in order to conserve fuel, which didn't help) and the service was sometimes slow we did not let any of the negatives (and they weren't many nor were they too bad, in our view) overshadow the many positives. We kinda went with the flow and tried to do things when other people weren't. We are currently planning a Bahamas trip next Feb. with all of the boys (5 teens and pre-teens). So this cruise didn't turn us off on NCL at all.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
captain, clark, dream, massport, norwegian, reviews, ron