Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 01:06 PM

We have never gone on a cruise but would dearly like to cross the Atlantic by 'steamer'. NCL has a Viking cruise out from Dover on 10th September on the Norwegian Dream. However everything I have read about that ship on this web site suggests that it is the passenger that should be paying NCL for the experience and not the other way around. Highlights are:

x Small cabins, particularly storage and washing space

x Unfriendly crew

x Long queues for most things like boarding and shore excursions

x Unexciting food

x High charges for any and all extras, including a significant per pasenger daily charge

x Rolling boat

x Odd internal architecture, whereby resturants are public through ways to cabins

It sounds like quite aweful?
Old 08-31-2002, 04:21 PM

Mariner,
I have cruised every major line over the past 30 years. Next week is my 57th cruise.

In answer to your questions:
Ship cabins are like airline seats. All of them are small unless you want to pay extra for a larger one.

Crew are as friendly as you are.Since the bulk of their income depends on it, the incentive is strong.

Most ships have long queues for boarding and shore excursions.

NCL has not been famous for their food for quite some time, but as mass market lines go, they are about average.

All mass market cruise lines have extra charges. They all copy each other to stay competitive. NCL charges the same as Carnival, RCI, and Princess.

All modern ships have stabilizers and all of them roll just about the same. Larger ones less, smaller ones more. If you have never cruised on the ocean, you may like to try a beginner cruise on a lake called the Caribbean.

Nearly every ship seems to have odd internal achitecture in one area or another. Try to tour the QE2 for a good example. Its a nightmare. The cruise lines go to great lengths to make ships appear to be floating resorts.

If this ship was really so awful, why is it still sailing? Why would anyone cruise on it?

My advice; do your homework. Go to the other chat rooms and check out the reviews from previous passengers.A good starting point is www.cruisecritic.com
www.cruisereport.com
www.cruise-addicts.com

One thing to remember: You usually get what you pay for. If its really cheap, thats what you are going to get. Something for nothing is a pipedream.

Have fun.

[This message was edited by BruceMuzz on August 31, 2002 at 04:35 PM.]
Old 08-31-2002, 05:51 PM

You say you are a first time cruiser, if you go with an open mind and let the crew do their job you will have a good time. If you are going to go looking for every little problem that you have read from people you do not know you will not have a good time regardless of the ship. As was said if this ship and cruise line is as bad as you think due to some of the reviews you have read why is it still sailing and why is the cruise line still in business. You can find a bad review on evey ship that is out there. You cannot believe everything you read.

I sailed on the old Independence before the cruise line went bankrupt. I read many more bad reviews than good. To this day she is my favorite ship and I will always remember the great time I had on her and I did sail her more than once.

As I said go with an open mind and relax and enjoy yourself.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:36 PM

<>

Actually, the cabins on the Dream are a tad larger than most mass market lines. There is an ample sitting area in addition to the bedroom area. You can check out my reviews of the Norwegian Wind at www.cruisereviews.com for a detailed description of the cabins including pictures) The Wind is a sister ship to the Dream. I have sailed both several times.

<>

Since NCL has gone to Freestyle Cruising they have added about 100 additional crew members. They have replaced the Eastern European male dining room staff with many females from both South East Asia and Romania....I just got off the Norwegian Sky today and the Norwegian Wind in June and they were especially friendly.....give them a chance.

<>

The Dream is a smaller ship than most mass market cruise lines and the smaller passenger load does not equal longer lines. All mass market ships are burdened with lines for just about everything. Try Silversea, Radisson, Crystal or Seabourn if you don't want lines (but it will cost you)

<>

I beg to differ, Try the Asian shrimp in the Asian dining venue, or the specialty Italian dishes in the Italian Restaurant or the French dishes in La Bistro...they are great!

<>

The daily gratuities are $10 per person, per day. That covers the waiter, assistant waiter, room steward and Maitre di'. It is actually a tad below that of most mass market line's suggested gratuities.

<>

The Dream is stabilized and may pitch in heavy seas, but not roll. The stabilizers extend some 35 ft beyond the hull. I was on the Wind in February in the Tasman Sea in heavy seas. It didn't roll...but it was pitching about 8 or 9 degrees.....Yahooooo!!

<>

The Dream was stretched 130 feet. While you can get through on every floor, you have to walk through one restaurant or a showroom to do so...ehhhh, no big deal.

It sounds like quite aweful?

Hey, it is going to be if you don't give it a chance. I have seen folks get on wonderful ships with the desired goal to have a lousy time. You can do that on the Dream too, if that is your idea a great vacation. Forget what you have read and go with an open mind. I think NCL realy has something with Freestyle Cruising...I love it.

To

[This message was edited by Tom Ogg on September 01, 2002 at 09:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by Tom Ogg on September 01, 2002 at 11:35 PM.]

Closed Thread

Tags
market, mass