Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 PM

We have just had the NCL price drop over $400 on our sailing on the Pearl, that we have already paid in full. It is not until JUne. I contacted NCL,my agent and even spoke with the "customer service" rep. Their policy is too bad so sad. we had this happen on Carnival and they gave up Shipboard credit. Has anyone had any experience with NCL with this. Does anything work?
THANKS
Old 03-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi cruisers2, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Some lines will give you on board credits, others won't. Their reasoning is because they won't charge more if the price goes up. I've not had it happen on any of my NCL cruises, so can't say anything "works". Princess and Carnival have either adjusted the price or given me an on board credit. I believe Royal will do it as well. Sometimes booking early is a great advantage, sometimes not. Since you're using a travel agent, maybe they can keep talking with NCL on your behalf and get you an on board credit. Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Lines cannot lower the price to the lowest ever offered for a sailing for all cabins, of course. However it seems that if you have sailed with them 5 times, already booked, they would match the current sale that is available to the public as long as you respond during the sale dates. It would seem that they could give a shipboard credit for items/excursions that they are getting a profit off of, to keep a customer. Apparently NOT! watch out potential NCL customers they do not play nice. They do not reward but punish early bookers. My agency is even a "preferred" agent with thier own telephone number to get fast service they book so many cruises with NCL, but that did not help.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM

I will never cruise with NCL again. This put a bad taste in my mouth. I tried to cancel but they will keep $ 500. I wonder if this is legal? If I was purchasing something from any retailer and put a deposit down and found it advertised for $ 510 less within weeks, you better believe I would cancel my order!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM

I know on Carnival we got ship board credit, which ended up being a check back to us at the end of the cruise. carnival even adjusted the price within 30 days of sailing date.
On our upcoming HAL cruise we have gotten a $600.00 dollar refund to date. Our TA has done all the work for us!!.
If you are with 90 days (I think it is 90 days)on most lines you will not get all of your money back.

BTW Welcome aboard!!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM

THANKS for your info. We are within 90 days, but over 60 days
Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 PM

This has happened to me a few times in the past with Carnival after the final payment due date. Granted they have lightened up with this the last year or so. I just accepted it and enjoyed my cruise. It was the price I agreed to when I booked. I never held it against them, and have cruised many more times with them since.

Penny made a good point about this; if the price would have went up (and sometimes does) you would have been protected.

Dwayne
Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

With NCL if you have "paid in full" and there is a price adjustment downward they will not lower your fare.

If you have not paid the final balance, NCL 'WILL" make an adjustment downward, to reflect the new price.

We are sailing the NCL Star in November for the Panama Canal and have had our price drop 4 times and have saved $1200 each. We have not made the final payment and will not until the required date. If the price continues to drop on our specific cabin grade, NCL will reduce the price to us.

We have NEVER had any disappointments with NCL honoring price reductions on any of our cruises.
We are NCL Platinum Latitudes Members, and have cruised NCL too numerous times to even count. Never had any recorded problems.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 AM

WOW! you've been on so many NCL cruises that you can't even count them? And I thought I had a lot of cruises...but, I can count past 50.

I haven't had the pleasure of sailing on a NCL ship yet. I prefer Royal Caribbean because I get a lot of perks. Royal Caribbean will give a refund for a price drop after the final payment.

Sonny
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 AM

The way I see it, you paid what you considered a fair price for your cruise. If you didn't think it was a fair/good price you would not have paid it. Would it be nice for NCL to give you a discount? Sure, but they are not obligated to do so. They have lowered the price now in order to fill the ship, if everyone already booked got the bargain basement new rate then the cruise would probably be a loss for NCL.

IF you were before the penalty phase of your booking (90 days) you could simply cancel the booking and rebook (at the risk of not getting the cabin type you want) at the lower rate. But since you are within the penalty phase, you should look at it in the light of having gotten a fair price. Next time, you can take the risk of waiting until the "last minute" hoping for a cheaper rate, but be warned that your desired cruise date may be full by then too.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
adjustments, carribean, compensation, cruise, drop, drops, long, match, ncl, paaid, policy, price, prices, reservation, royal, sailings, stateroom, upgrade