Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM

I am considering booking this 7 Day Exotic Western Caribbean Cruise out of New Orleans on the Norwegian Spirit.

Has anyone been on this cruise?...If so can you tell me a little bit about your experiences (ship and ports visited).

I have only been on one other cruise (Royal Caribbean)and wanted to also know more about this "free style" cruising.

Do you have to make a reservation for dinner each night? Is their a cover for every restaurant?

Thanks for any info in advance!

mmc
Old 10-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Hi mcmarto, and welcome to cruise-chat!

Freestyle cruising has several aspects, most notably no set dining times and casual dress/optional formal nights. In all honesty, you will probably find that people will be dressed similarly to those on your Royal Caribbean cruise, assuming it was in the last couple of years. You can dress for formal night if you wish--but will have plenty of dining choices if you don't.

As far as Freestyle Dining, you can choose between several no-fee restaurants and several that impose a fee. The main dining rooms are open from 5:30-ish to 10:00-ish, and you can arrive whenever you wish during that time frame, although you may have a wait at peak times. (The exact hours will be posted in your Freestyle Daily newsletter you get in your cabin.) Other than the two main dining rooms, there is no fee for the Italian restaurant, although I believe you need a reservation. The Shogun Asian Restaurant, Le Bistro, Cagney's Steakhouse, and Teppanyaki Restaurant all charge extra fees. You will need reservations to dine here.

What are your ports of call?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I travel on NCL because of the Freestyle dining...I can pick and choose where and when I want to dine....I think you will like it...buyt then again, it's not for everyone....Just enjoy the Cruise...

Bob E
Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks so much LisaP and Bob E for the info on freestyle cruising!

I just didn't want to get this great deal and then end up having to pay $15-25 a night to eat dinner...that would make the deal not so great...hahahaha...I don't mind paying a few surcharges but not every night...

The ports on this trip are: New Orleans; Roatan; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel

If you or anyone else has any info on the Norwegian Spirit, freestyle cruising or the above ports please let me know!...

I hope to book a cruise within the next two weeks or so!

Thanks,

mcmarto
Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM

We will be in Roatan in January, so I can't help from experience. Actually, the only two ports we've been to outside of New Orleans is Belize City and Cozumel. The cave tubing is fun in Belize and they have a good snorkel trip (through the ship is how we booked). Cozumel is a great port, beautiful beaches, you can get to the Tulum ruins from there. Chankanaab Park has a swim with the dolphins. Xel-ha is beautiful for snorkeling and has a lot of water toys. Good shopping, and while we haven't been since before the hurricane, it is a clean port. A friend of mine did this itinerary on the Norweigan Dawn. He hasn't stopped talking about it since he got back over a year ago. He really enjoyed the freestyle cruising because he doesn't like to dress up. He was also impressed with the ship and the cabins were large. They had a balcony room and he loved it. I've enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL, granted it was a long time ago, but had a wonderful time. The crew and staff were great on all 3 of my NCL ships. I can't imagine anyone having a bad time on any ship. Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, cruise, cruises, daily, day, exotic, freestyle, ncl, night, norwegian, review, reviews, spirit, western