Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 AM

Do they sometimes re-route a cruise at the last minute? We are leaving Philidelphia on Saturday on The Majesty to Bermuda, and I would have assumed with the National Hurricane Tracking System, that we would have heard any changes by now. Any info would be appreciated--(I don't know where we would even be re-routed to? Hannah is expected to move up the whole eastern coast?)

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Yes, it happens. It happened to me several years ago. We were scheduled for an eastern Caribbean on the Century, but a hurricane got in the way and when we arrived at the pier they were handing out a revised itinerary. We were going to the western Caribbean now.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

I just checked NCL's Web site, and they have not announced any itinerary changes.

It's been my experience that you might not find out until boarding. In 2005, we were booked, ironically, on Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda, only from Boston. A category 1 hurricane was to the west of Bermuda, and we didn't know if we would be heading to Bermuda or north to Canada. I remember calling one of my friends from an onboard bar just before we left to let him know we were, indeed, going to Bermuda. To tell the truth, we were all surprised -- even my buddy on land. It turned out to not be so bad.

I don't know where you'd go from Philly if Bermuda is not an option.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Hurricanes and Tropical storms can change direction and speed very fast, and when a hurricane interference is imminent we make alternative iteniraries in advance. But the desicion which one to choose is often not made until the last minute.

I have also experienced two times that a tropical storm have changed direction unexpecedly between weather updates and we (on the Majesty) found ourselves caught in the middle. first time was during the stay in Bermuda in october 2001 when a surprise storm/hurricane hit the island. We were blown off the pier when we dragged a bollard up from the ground.

The second time was in july 2002 when tropical storm Arthur suddenly accelerated and delayed our arrival Bermuda with a day.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
2002, arthur, cruise, due, examples, hurricane, line, majesty, norwegian, rerouting, roughting, routing, ships, storm, tropical