Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Hello, in September we would like to go to Canada/Newengland cruise. We have our children with us - they are 2 and 8. Unfortunately there are only very few, which go also to Quebec city. we would have cruise with Celebrity Constellation, but unfortunately the journey is not appropriate for us in our autumn-holidays and they dont permits us to leave the ship earlier in Boston.
Now we have still the choice between NCL Dawn and Grand Princess. The interior cabs of the Princess are not much more expensive than with NCL.
The Dawn also goes to Newfoundland and La Baie. But the Grand Princess goes to Prince Edward Island. I think in principle me Princess better would fit for us, because we were very very content with the Constellation and I believe that Princess is very similar. We are from Germany and love to have many Americans around us and less European. For the children sake would probably rather be NCL because of the larger number of children. But in the USA at the end of of September there are no holidays so probably there will be only few 8 year olds. But in addition NCL has a support for children which are 2!
Its realy hard to decide.
Which ship would you take?

Thanks for help
Burkhard
Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Hello Hardi68, and welcome to cruise-chat;

I don't know how much help I can be here; I've never sailed to Canada and New England; I've never been on a NCL ship; and I've never cruised with small children. Come to think of it, I really don't know why I am replying, except I really love Grand Princess.

If you liked Celebrity, I believe you will find Princess a closer fit than NCL. Grand Princess has wonderful childrens' areas and programs, but you are correct; in late September there won't be too many children on either ship.

I will just say I have cruised with Princess for over 30 years and overall am very pleased with them. And Grand Princess was one of the best.

I'm sure others will respond with ideas and suggestions also.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

As an avid cruiser of NCL, and a Latitudes Platinum member, I must say and would give this advice.

Hard to go against NCL and the "freestyle cruising" platform, BUT would select the Grand Princess. I have sailed the Grand, and its a beautiful ship, a mega ship, that is sister to the Diamond and Shapire Princess......I would say that both ships are nice, but the Grand is "the" Grand. It's a quality ship with quaility amenties. As for kids, both NCL and Princess have kids programs that are very similiar in nature. I just view the Grand as a little more upscale. While extremely loyal to NCL, my choice would be the Grand princess if the fares can match NCL.

Whatever ship you choose, enjoy the cruise.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

NCL Pearl Sept 24th, 2007 Vancouver,B.C. to LA
Diamond Princess Dec 3rd, 2007 to Hawaii
Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
As an avid cruiser of NCL, and a Latitudes Platinum member, I must say and would give this advice.

Hard to go against NCL and the "freestyle cruising" platform, BUT would select the Grand Princess. I have sailed the Grand, and its a beautiful ship, a mega ship, that is sister to the Diamond and Shapire Princess......I would say that both ships are nice, but the Grand is "the" Grand. It's a quality ship with quaility amenties. As for kids, both NCL and Princess have kids programs that are very similiar in nature. I just view the Grand as a little more upscale. While extremely loyal to NCL, my choice would be the Grand princess if the fares can match NCL.

Whatever ship you choose, enjoy the cruise.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

NCL Pearl Sept 24th, 2007 Vancouver,B.C. to LA
Diamond Princess Dec 3rd, 2007 to Hawaii

The Grand isn't a sister ship to the Sapphire and Diamond. They are their own class-"Gem class". The Grand class consist of-Grand, Golden, and Star.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

Cruise Fanatic.....sorry for any confusion. Your the "cruise guru". I have been on both Grand and the Diamond, and they are very similiar...in style, and size......bottom line......

I still suggest the Grand Princess.......even though I am highly dedicated to NCL and their ships.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

NCL Pearl Sept 24th
Diamond Princess Dec 3rd to Hawaii
Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 AM

Don't worry, your loyalty to NCL is not in question.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Hi - I would go with the Grand Princess hands down any day over ANY of the NCL ships. I've sailed both cruise lines and the Princess has much nicer staff, better ship layout, awesome food, less hassle, very clean, etc. NCL has neglected to care/maintain their ships, none of their staff/crew are friendly and the food isn't that great. Enough said...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM

I know I'm partial to Princess for many reasons. The ships are immaculate, the service is impeccable, and the food is wonderful. I've sailed on Princess, Costa, Carnival, Royal American, Norweigan Caribbean, and Holland America. To me, Princess is just a cut above the rest. I totally enjoyed my cruises on NCL, and I loved the dive-in program since I love to snorkel and dive. However, I've only cruised the Caribbean, not New England, the water there is too cold for me. Both NCL and Princess have great programs for children, however, you are correct about most of the school age children being in school at that time of the year. I am sure there will be some families with younger children on board either cruise line. NCL offers a good product, but I like Princess better. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time, I hope it's Princess Best wishes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

Been on the Grand and just loved it. Was on one NCL cruise and will never go on another one. That free styling is just not what they say it is. And the servise and upkeep of the ship was not that great. And was I disappointed in the food. The Princess line now is another thing. Just everything you want in a vacation.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Hardi68, and welcome to cruise-chat!

Prince Edward Island alone is enough to decide it for me. This is a great port of call for the whole family. If your 8-year-old is into Anne of Green Gables, this is where it's set. The approach to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island is also spectacular, going under the Confederation Bridge. Charlottetown is also of historical significance as the "Birthplace of Canada."

And, you're right -- there will be few American families traveling that time of year as school is back in session. So, neither line will have many kids that time of year.

Closed Thread

Tags
dawn, ncl, princess, reviews