Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM

I don't like any of the ship excursions. Any suggestions for excursions in Puerto Vallarta?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM

I was thinking that instead of doing an excursion, we might just do our own thang and go into town and walk along the malecon, visit some shops, and go on the beach. Is town within walking distance from the port or will we need to take a taxi?

Are the beaches free? Do they have facilities (restroom) nearby?

Are there any landmarks I should try and visit? Any museums in the area? I think there's a church that might be accessible.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
It's a good 30 minute walk into town and usually very hot and humid; it can be done, but I think you would be better off taking a cab (about $10--less if you share) and saving your energy for when you get there. The beach downtown is public and free, but not very good for swimming--rocky and not too clean; but fine for just kicking off your zapatos and strolling.

The good swimming beaches are south of the river and mostly private; but the resorts will usually let cruise passengers use them--there may be a small charge to use the facilities.

The shops and cantinas along the Malecon are lots of fun; and the Cathedral and City Hall are in the Plaza in the center of town . . .just a couple of blocks from the beach. And the artists' colony that has built up around the river is a must.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 AM

We'll probably take a taxi to town. Not worth getting hot and tired before getting to town!

so the nearby beaches aren't that nice.

Will there be people on the ship who can direct us to good beaches?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, you will no doubt have port lectures for each port. While the focus will be more on shopping, there will be current information on the resorts that welcome cruise passengers. Like I said, the best beches are private. You can just hire a cab to take you to one of the resorts.

You don't seem to like the idea of ship excursions, but one of the best ways to enjoy the beach is to book an excursion that spends the day at one of the all-inclusive resorts. For a rather modest price (considering what you get) you are provided air-conditioned transportation, use of all facilities (beach and pool), and all food and beverages; really not a bad deal. You would probably spend more if you bought all these separatly.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to like the idea of ship excursions
I like the ship's excursions and we're doing a ship excursion in every port but PV. We didn't find any ship excursion that interested us so we were just going to venture out on our own.

We want to see the town and maybe a little beach if possible.

I've been to those shopping and port talks before. They do mainly focus on shopping and shopping for stuff that either I'm not interested in or can't afford. I'll probably still check them out though as they may give me some information I can use.

Closed Thread

Tags
adventures, beach, beaches, cruise, distance, passengers, port, puerto, purto, reviews, ship, vallarta, visit, visiting, walk