Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 AM

We are going on a cruise mostly in Canada at the beginning of October. We have been told that it could be very cold on the River. Did someone cruised there and could give us tips on what to bring and what to wear.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 AM

Pierrette,
The weather in upper New england and Canada is quite unpredictable in October. You could luck out and visit when the area is experienceing "Indian Summer" days, but YES, it can also get cold in October. You will definitely want to pack a warm jacket/coat and a pair of gloves and hat/scarf are not bad ideas (you might also want to consider raingear). You may not need them, but in case you do - you will be glad you thought to pack them.

Although it was a mid-Sept. cruise and not October, I did this cruise on the Jewel last season and you might find my mega-review helpful in answering some of your questions:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...oftheSeas3.htm

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 AM

Hello Pierette,

we have done the Indian Summer cruise in 2001, starting october 24 on the Norwegian Sun in Boston, then via Bar Harbour, Newfoundland, Quebec and Halifax back to Boston.
I would say this time is too late for the Indian Summer. Boston was nice, but every day it was getting colder. It was almost impossible in the early morning to go outside for my walking laps. Some days the decks were frozen and dangerous. One lady broke her leg.

So what Nancy said, is absolutely neccessary: warm jacket, gloves and scarf. My friends who were with us on the cruise laughed at me, when I told them what I pack in my luggage. But thank god, they listened to me and packed the same things.
We´ll love to do the same cruise in the future, but then about 3 weeks earlier, because we came for the Indian Summer, but in Quebec all leaves were fallen down, because of the frost.
But it was wonderful, especially Quebec and the Saguenay River, but here it was almost impossible to stay outside and to watch the beautiful scenery.
Marita

Old 08-12-2005, 05:10 AM

Thank you to both of you. Hopefully we are cruising at the beginning of October but we will consider your recommendations. Do you know if the pool on the Enchantment of the sees can be used even if it is cool outside ?

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2005, 06:54 AM

Pierrette -

I think I can answer you last question. I am sure the pool will be available - but I really would not count on using it. My family did the Canada cruise last month out of Philadelphia on Enchantment. They have two pools outside on the upper deck. For whatever reason the one pool always seemed to be very cold, while the other was a bit more comfortable. I am quite sure they are not heated - so if it is cool in October - I doubt it will be comfortable outside in the pool. However, the indoor Solarium (No children allowed) will probably be very nice.

I can also tell you that we had fantastic weather in New England and Canada (mid-70's)on my week. I had forgotten to pack a jacket and worried about it much of the week. The only time I actually would have needed it was when we were in Bar Harbor - specifically at the top of Cadillac Mt. in Acadia National Park. It is an incredible view from up there - but is was also a good 10+ degrees colder up there as well.

I would suspect that in early October, you will need more than just a windbreaker to manage the days - so I would strongly recommend you take the advice of the previous two posts and pack warm clothing. Maybe you'll get lucky with some nice warm days, but you don't want to be caught without warm clothes and have to pay outrageous prices on the boat. I refused to pay $70 for a windbreaker onboard - so I ended up getting one for about $27 in Bar Harbor.

Enchantment - August 2005

Closed Thread

Tags
back, bring, canada, canadian, canda, caribbean, cruise, crusie, england, mid, oct, october, pack, packing, reviews, royal