Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM

We will be spending one day in Waikiki next Jan. I want to make the best of it and not do the the typical tourist things. I want to see a bit of natural Hawaii. Any suggestions please for off the beaten track visit.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM

We will be spending one day in Waikiki next Jan. I want to make the best of it and not do the the typical tourist things. I want to see a bit of natural Hawaii. Any suggestions please for off the beaten track visit.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Two suggestions: rent a car and head out on your own. The roads are excellent, you can't get lost, and you can cover much of the island in a day.

Or: you didn't mention which line you are cruising on but we did a tour with Princess called "Natural Highlights of Oahu", or something to that effect. It covered a lot of beautiful areas you don't usually hear about. I'm sure all lines offer something similar.

Have a great trip.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 AM

One time during a land trip, I did a wonderful ecotour of Oahu, where we visited many seldom seen interior sites, waterfalls, etc. It was muddy and we did a bit of climbing, but it was wonderful. If your ship offers any tour like that, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise, if you google "ecotours of oahu" you will find some good stuff, but you would have to find out if they pick you up at the cruiseport and if the time works out.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 AM

There are some tours going to the north side of the island, through the pineapple fields, and as f-mattox stated, renting a car is a great option. I would highly suggest visiting Pearl Harbor and the punch bowl. These are tourist excursions, but are well worth visiting. Hanama Bay is great for snorkeling and relaxing. I'm not sure if you can still get around the point and over to the toilet bowl, but that was a blast. Best wishes and have a great cruise!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Thankyou so much everyone. I have some great ideas now and what to do. We will be on Aurora doing a world cruise. I want to make the best of Hawaii with the little time we have there. Thanks again cruisers.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 AM

rent a car and do you own thing, get out of the city and enjoy the view and have a picnic
also if you like to shop there is a shop meet in the stadium across from Pearl Harbour it is absolutely fantastic I think it is sundays or saturdays don't buy one thing until you get there
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Thank you so much Deswords. I will remember your advice. This port is fairly early on in our cruise so I will certainly check out the shopping!! Can't wait.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Hello,

Rent a car when you are in Honolulu,Oahu. You can drive all around Honolulu and the rest of Oahu on excellent roads, stopping to see Pearl Harbor (the general area from the outside as you probably will not have enough time to go on the tour of the Arizona Memorial). See also the Pali Lookout, drive through Wakikki, see Oahu's north shore and especially Waimea Beach (one of the most famous surfing beaches in the world), BYU Hawaii, and hike up Diamond Head.

Oahu really isn't very big so you can easily do allof the island within the alloted time...shopping is at Hilo Hattie's.

Hope that this helps.

Fred
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Thank you so much Fruby for all your information. It all sounds wonderful and I will keep your advice to hand.

Closed Thread

Tags
hawaii, hawaiiinfoplesae, infoplease