Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 04:36 PM

This is my first trip to Hawaii....I am a
real beach person, any recommendations for Honolulu, Lahaina, Kailua and Hilo.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

depends on what kind of beach you like most..surfing beach? snorkeling from beach?
lying on beach with lots of people...or all alone?...here are a few on oahu, waikiki is famous for the diamond head view but is very crowded only good if you want to learn to surf or love to people watch. Hanauma bay is the only beach that charges but worth it if you ever wanted to snorkel, you have to sit through a short eco-movie before they let you in but its worth it, beach can get crowded because of tours going there. My favorite beach is Lanakai 30 minutes from waikiki but a world away from tourist stuff. Awesome views, not crowded at all, popular with kayakers because of two offshore islands close enough to paddle around...also popular with lesbians (at least i think they were lesbians, i didnt want to ask and get beaten up)(these female paddlers had muscles!!)... only downside is not very commercial (no beach bars or resturants)

maui has many beaches...once again it depends on what you like most in a beach....for snorkeling, ulua near wailai or black rock at kaanapali.
for windsurfing there is a worldclass beach on the north shore, i forget the name but it is near paia, for picturesque try the kam beaches in southwest maui near kehei there are 3, for local flavor try makena which is probably the biggest beach on the island , north makena is topless

for kaui try poipu great for kids but has everything an adult could want in a beach

havent been to hilo so cant help there

oh and for a great tour if you into snorkeling go to molokini crater offshore from maui it is one of only 3 in the world like it.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 AM

Wise2u, I agree with you on snorkling the crater of Molokini; we saw some the most vivid colored fish at this location. One only needs to be aware of the continuous wave action that tends to bring you in towards the rim of the crater. This can also be a very, very busy place as it is a popular tourist destination. One of our favorite things to do on Waikiki other than to people watch and look at the fantastic view of Diamond Head is to sign up for an outrigger ride in front of, you guessed it, the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel. You can hang out and wait your turn. Its worth the wait and the price is very reasonable. You and several other people with your Hawaiian oarsman will paddle way out beyond the breakers and wait for the perfect wave to ride back in; its a thrill, especially for those that don't or can't surf. Ask around also from locals about favorite hidden beaches; there are many to enjoy.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM

There are some great beaches in Hilo, there's an Emerald Beach, a Black beach and some amazing hotels. If you have enough time, you can go up to the crater, which is quite interesting. There is some beautiful waterfalls there as well. Don't forget to try the Kona coffee, awesome. Best wishes and have a marvelous cruise!!

Closed Thread

Tags
crater, cruise, hawaii, molokini, snorkel, week