Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 AM

I have researched as throughly as I can and I still can't seem to come up with the information I'm looking for. I've called several rental car agencies and have been told that they do not provide transportation from various Hawaiian ports to their rental locations. I emailed Alamo, but got no response. I have read all posts and I keep finding references to shuttle vans that are waiting at the ports. I'm so confused!

I need a rental car on the big island (both Hilo and Kona) as well as Kauai (Nawiliwili). I need the answers to two specific questions:

1) Who provides transportation to/from the ports the nearest rental car locations?

2) How does one arrange to be picked up?

Someone must know! Please help as I sail in about 4 weeks and need to finalize my plans.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM

OK, here goes, In Hilo, Dollar Rent a Car usually has a representative on hand if they have any rentals available. The Hilo airport is only about 5 miles from the cruise terminal, so the worse case scenario is that you taxi to the airport and back.

Kona is another story. There are no car rentals that I know of in Kailua (the town that you tender into) The cars are all at the airport, which is a good distance away. That would be the one I would make sure you have taken care of before you arrive in Kona. On my last visit, I intended to rent a car with some agents and there were simply none to be had.

Try all the rental companies and you may have to taxi to/from the airport, which is going to be expensive.

In Nawiliwili, Dollar Rent a Car usually has a representative at the cruise port. The Lihue airport is only about ten minutes away and an easy taxi ride.

You should be able to access transfers and rentals in Kauai and in Hilo with no problem. Kone is going to be a different story.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks Tom. I've reserved cars in Lihue, Kona, and Hilo. If we can't arrange for transportation in port, we'll make our way by taxi. At least this way I don't have to settle for last minute walk-up rates.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Now that you have already reserved cars at each port this message may be a bit late, but.....I have had great success reserving cars in advance through Alamo at all 3 of those ports. They provided complimentary shuttle service from each port both to pick up the car and to return us to the port.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-21-2005, 01:03 PM

I called Alamo directly (800 number) and was told that they would not provide shuttle service. I ended up renting from Budget, since I belong to their Fastbreak club. Oh well, it's too late now. If Budget won't pick us up, I'll make my way.

Thanks for replying!

Closed Thread

Tags
buget, car, cars, cruse, hawaii, hilo, kauai, kona, lihue, nawiliwili, nawwiliwili, port, rental, rentals, reviews, transportation