Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Hello, I will be in Acapulco on Saturday, January 12 via Carnival Spirit. We are looking for a good restaurant that we can get to by taxi. Something local that serves local food, not a chain that serves pizza and hamburgers. And I'm not looking for 5 star either, just some good local food. Doesn't have to be seafood, if they serve stuffed squash blossoms that would be great. Anyone know of a good local place? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm sure you are looking for a first-hand recommendation--I've never actually been anyplace but Carlos 'n' Charlies, which is lots of fun and good food, but not really "local".

I just Googled "restaurants in Acapulco, Mexico", and got enough material to read from now to January 12.

Have a great trip.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks F-Mattox, yes I was hoping for some first hand experience for just that reason. I google the restaurants and get overwhelmed (and HUNGRY) reading everything! It's hard sorting out what is good and what is not, having never been there. So if anyone does have some recommendations, that would be great!

(And thanks again F-Mattox!)
Old 12-24-2007, 04:20 PM

I was at Carlos N Charlies many times years and years ago during a land trip to Acapulco. I would trust that place. That being said, I, personally, would not eat off the ship in Mexico. I have known of too many people who got sick that way.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 AM

I have been on that cruise twice. We ate once on one of the tours by a Lagoon. There are several non chain eating places within walking distances to the ship.
We did eat in Iztapa on the pier area at 3 amigos. The owner is from San Diego Ca, and our waiter was from Portland Or. It was full of us tourist. I will find a picture of the menus and post later

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Too often, when people ask for "local" they don't really mean "local". I have stayed at the Acapulco Princess Hotel and there are two delightful restaurants on the property. The cab ride is fun (about 15 - 20 minutes tops) each way. After you dine, check out the grounds - beautiful.

If you would prefer to remain in town, then a good "local" restaurant is Sanborns. I've eaten there in Acapulco and also at their restaurant in Mexico City. It has been in existence at least since the '40s. You really can't go wrong.

I could recommend a couple of others but they really are LOCAL and I don't think you'd be ready for them - or vise-versa.

Buen provecho!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChucksOK:
Too often, when people ask for "local" they don't really mean "local". I have stayed at the Acapulco Princess Hotel and there are several delightful restaurants on the property (I recommend La Hacienda). The cab ride is fun (about 15 - 20 minutes tops) each way. After you dine, check out the grounds - beautiful.

If you would prefer to remain in town, then a good "local" restaurant is Sanborns. I've eaten there in Acapulco and also at their restaurant in Mexico City. It has been in existence at least since the '40s. You really can't go wrong.

I could recommend a couple of others but they really are LOCAL and I don't think you'd be ready for them - or vise-versa.

Buen provecho!
I didn't mean to quote myself - I just wanted to update my post by adding the name of the restaurant at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:43 PM
You just brought back a flood of memories; I remember eating at the Sanborns in Mexico City in 1956. My mother took me and my sister (13 and 8) on a trip to Guadalajara, San Miguel de Allende and Mexico, D.F. by plane, bus and train. I marvel today at a woman traveling in Mexico with two young children (work kept my father from going); of course those were different times. But it instilled in me the love for travel I still have today. And Mom, at 91, is still traveling.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
And Mom, at 91, is still traveling.
Bless her heart. My mom will be 106 in June; she isn't able to travel.

Sonny
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonny V:
quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
And Mom, at 91, is still traveling.
Bless her heart. My mom will be 106 in June; she isn't able to travel.

Sonny

Sonny and Rick,
You are both so very fortunate to have your moms still with you. God bless them both!

Rick,
You mention having dined at Sanborns, Mexico City in '56 at the age of 13. I am 5 years your senior but aside from that, I began spending the bulk of my summers in Mexico City and surrounding areas from the time I was 6 as one of my uncles was the American Counsel. He also had a home in Cuernavaca where we would go for the weekend. One summer we spent in Merida at one of the homes of Presidente Miguel Aleman, a friend of my uncle.

You also mention, San Miguel de Allende - one of the most beautiful and charming towns in all of Mexico!

Another restaurant in Mexico City that your mom may have taken you to was named "Les Ambassadeurs". If memory serves, it was upstairs within the same block as the Hotel Prado, very elegant with tuxedoed waiters, silver service, etc.

So much for a skip down memory lane - we don't want to bore all these lovely people that visit this site!

Closed Thread