Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:16 PM

Me and my wife have decided to take a cruise towards the end of the summer. I decided mainly because of the fact that I am tired of hearing of everybody else's cruise. So I want a cruise that goes some place better than the Carribean, if that is possible. When we talk about our cruise, I want people to be truely interested. I don't want people to be comparing notes because we took the same basic cruise.
I hope that doesn't sound vane, I'm just tired of being the one lectured to by my friends about what cruises offer and their favorite island south of Florida.
So back to the question: Where is the absolute best place to cruise?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Doug
Welcome Aboard! As for the 'best place to cruise', well, that depends on a lot of factors, mostly personal preferences. Alaska is a nice destination, many 7 day cruises in the late summer. Plus, not so hot that all you do is sweat. The Mexican Rivera, out of San Diego or Los Angeles is cool too. But take a Panama Canal trip, all the way thru, and you will have memories and be the envy of all your friends.

David Landry
Old 05-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Thanks David!
The Panama Canal does sound awesome, but I'm not sure I can wait till fall. I'm chopping at the bit and I haven't had a real vacation in like twenty years. I need get away before I take some customer and ring their winy little neck. But it is definetly worth thinking about. Maybe I'l wait, after all, it might be fun telling the story of how I finally freaked on some idiot and how I'm going to enjoy my cruise in a month, while standing in line at the bank cashing my well earned unemployement check. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:50 PM

A hint. The inside cabins are the cheapest, since you spend very little time in them. When you book, ask for an inside on the highest deck available. I would opt for that over an outside cabin on the lowest level. Chances are, it will be on the penthouse level, where all the rich and famous are. When you get home, you can show proof you were on the penthouse deck. Your friends will do a slow burn.

David Landry
Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 PM

David,

You seem to know your stuff. In looking around we saw African cruises, Australian cruises, and Mediteranean cruises. While it sounds nice to get to another part of the world, do you know if they are any better than staying in this neck of the woods?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:27 PM

SO many places to cruise to, not enough time...
One of my favorites is Tahiti. Moorea is the ultimate. The Med is excellent. Greek Isles...
Australia is still on my to-do list.
If you do Caribbean the Panama Canal cruises are awesome.
Really your cruise destination is your choice to follow your dreams.......Good Luck
Old 05-18-2005, 05:36 AM

Doug,
If you are interested in going on a cruise this summer or as soon as possible, then Africa and Australia (although absolutely fantastic choices) would not be options. Since they are in the southern hemisphere - that is winter for them, so you would have to wait until Dec. or thereabouts.

If you are looking for exotic - consider somewhere in Europe - the Med. is outstanding. Or since you are from PA - how about Hawaii? For us east coasters - that is considered a pretty exotic destination.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-18-2005, 06:28 AM

Doug
When considering those faraway exotic ports, remember airfare will take a large chunk of your budget. By the time you figure airfare, hotels before/after cruise, food, it might be as much as the cruise itself. Check your specials, fly to Aruba. My favorite place is Curacao, next to Aruba. Not as commercialized, great beaches, great food, great activities.

David Landry
Old 05-18-2005, 09:13 AM

I think that an Eastern Mediterranean cruise is one of the best choices. Istanbul is AWESOME! No one should go through life without visiting Ephesus (from Kusadasi) and the Greek Isles are to die for. The would be my suggestion if you haven't been to the Eastern Med. before.

Tom
Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 PM

Or you can take 2 itineraries in one !!
Like:
Baltic
(Copenhagen, Tallin, St.Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby, Berlin, Copenhagen)
followed by: Western-Europe+Western-Mediterrenean (Copenhagen, Oslo, Rotterdam, London, Paris, Vigo, Lisbon, Gibraltal, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome)
This is an example of Westerdam, but there are others too.
Henk.

Closed Thread