Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations, or don'ts for shore excursions in Puntarenas, Costa Rica? Thanks!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Depends on where your interests lie
some people on our cruise went zip lining
Check http://okeydokeytours.com/ to see if anything there

We took one of Charlie's tour from Port Limon it was well worth it.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't mind reviews if anyone has been on an excursion to let me know what they thought of their excursion and whether or not they would recommend it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
We've been to Puntarenas twice, on Princess, but I imagine the excursions are similar.

I highly recommend the tour into the Capital city, San Jose, with a stop at Sarchi. It is an excellent way to see the beautiful countryside and learn about the country. The tour guides in Costa Rica are excellent.

The other tour we took was a cruise in a small boat in a ecological preserve; it was kind of like the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland, but the real deal. It was combined with a ride on an antique train once used to bring coffee down to the port.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 AM

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM

Reading the excursion descriptions last night, everything included a long ride to get to the site. I don't want to be on a bus for 3.5 hours one way! Bus ride is longer than the actual excursion. I prefer something that is right there, but I guess that's not really an option.

What if I don't go on an excursion? Is there anything to do in the surrounding port area? What is the area like?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, the excursion to San Jose is really much more than just a "bus ride"; it's a good chance to see the beautiful vistas that are Costa Rica. And you make some very interesting stops along the way. A good tour guide (and we have only had great ones in Costa Rica) makes it a very informative and educational experience.

Puntarenas is just a very poor and not-too-clean port town. I wouldn't venture more than a few blocks from the pier.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM

I looked at the various ports from satellite view and they don't look to be hubs of activity. I reckon people don't want to live around ports so the richer areas will not be there. The Baltimore port isn't around anything either so I guess that's true for most. Although, the St. Thomas port was right by a shopping center. For the most part though, it seems like you have to travel to get to stuff.

I looked at the La Paz Waterfalls Garden site and that looked nice. But I've been deceived by Web sites before so I don't know.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 AM

I signed up for an excursion to San Jose via the Pan American Highway where we visit the National Museum of Pre-Columbian Art, the Opera House, lunch at Hacienda Pura Vida, and some cities (Sarchi and another) for shopping.

Oxcarts seem to be big in Costa Rica, but I can't see a lot of tourists buying them. Firstly, how to get home and secondly, I have no oxes! I guess they sell miniatures.

Closed Thread

Tags
call, coasta, costa, critic, cruise, dock, excursion, excursions, lines, port, punarenas, puntarenas, review, reviews, rica, ship, shore