Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm going on a Royal Caribbean 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise in October. I've got plans worked out for Cabo and Mazatlan, but I'm trying to decide between a canopy tour (zip lines) or swimming w/ dolphins in Puerto Vallarta. Anyone do either of these before, and if so, did it live up to your expectations? How was it? My fiance and I are in our 20's, no kids, and both of these options sound like fun to us. Please help me decide! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM

I was in PV on August 8 and we did the Canopy Tour through Carnival, which used this company:
http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/c...our/index.html.

Our group ranged from 10 years to 45 years, and everyone had a wonderful time. My kids are 15 and 17 and it was their favorite part of their trip. Although there are also "extreme" canopy tours, no one on our tour was disappointed, and in comparison our tour had more lines and the lines were much longer. The "extreme" tours are just higher. (Believe me, our lines were PLENTY high, haha)

That said, I was scared out of my mind and did NOT have fun, but I was the only one out of 15 people who was scared, so that should tell you something. Besides that I am a big baby.

We also swam with the dolphins in Cabo, and I'm sure it's a very similar experience to the one in PV. This was great and a lot of fun (and not scary, lol), but I think overall for you I would recommend the canopy tour, for sure.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 PM

We are doing this cruise leaving September 30th and have chosen to do the Royal Dolphin Swim in Puerto Vallarta. There are actually two different places to do this. We are doing the one at Sea Life Park. It is a huge waterpark with 10+ water slides/rides also shows,etc. When you book a Royal Dolphin Swim directly through the park, they also add in a Swim with the Sea Lions at no charge. I believe the price was $139 - and the Royal Dolphin Swim is the only one that the dolphins do the "foot push" - where two dolphins swim under you and you are propelled through the water on your feet - kind of like dolphin skiing. Going through the park is also cheaper than booking through Carnival. Granted we have not done this yet - but I have read many boards over the last 6 months and everyone says the Royal Dolphin Swim is AWESOME!

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM

If you really cannot decide you should check if you have time to do both of them. In PV we did a morning canopy tour and still had time for horseback riding, and in Cabo we did the early dolphin swim and still had time for snorkeling. It all depends on what your ship offers (or what times you can schedule yourself) and how long you are in port. But you should have enough energy to do both if you have the time (and money).
Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

I'd love to do both, but the problem is more money than it is time. I'm leaning towards the $99 "Dolphin Swim Adventure" (including the water park admission) at the same park that Michele mentioned.

Cynthia, I'm kind of with you on being a big baby! (Hubby is too.) I was a thrill-seeker in my teens, but I've deleloped a whole slew of irrational fears since I've hit my 20's! (Such as: What is the zipline snaps?? LOL) I enjoy "forcing" myself to do thrilling activities, though, because I never regret it afterwards. We're both a little terrified at the thought of the canopy tour, but we're sure it would be an unforgettable memory. (Similar to when we went scuba diving on our last cruise... we were scared stiff, before and throughout, but the memories and the underwater photos we took are priceless!)

Still trying to make a decision, though. Thanks to both of you for your input.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:48 PM

We just got back from our cruise yesterday and we chose the Zip Line in PV. Our group ranged from 8 (my daughter) to about 60 and we all had a blast! I do have to admit that being afraid of heights...I was scared. The zip lines didnt scare me at all, though I'm not sure why since they were WAY up there. Maybe because our guides made me feel secure once they hooked us up to the line. The part that had my knees shaking was standing on the platforms between the lines. Once you zipped down the line, you had to wait on a platform for some of the others, and until one of the guides could zip ahead the to next platform to unhook you once you got there. The platforms were only wide enough for one person to stand, so we all had to kind of stand around the tree and wait. There were no rails...just straight down! There was a rope around the tree which is what they hooked our safety line to. I think I would have been less scared if my daughter had not been with me. I was more afraid of her falling off of the platform than anything else...but she wasnt scared at all. All that being said, I'm glad I did it. Our guides were awesome and they made our adventure unforgettable!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
canopy, carnival, cruise, dolphin, dolphins, extreme, life, park, port, puerto, review, sea, swim, tour, vallarta, vallerta, water