Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Hi we are going to NYC later this month. We are going to do the tourist thing! Anyways, does anyone know if you can visit the twin towers site without a tour group? Or can you only visit it with a tour group. Is it pretty self explanatory, what you are seeing? Is a tour guide really needed? Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Hi Lori. I used to work near the WTC, and while I moved away nearly 20 years ago, I still visit lower Manhattan often for business. In all that time, I viewed the site only once -- in November 2001. I've been nearby since, but can't bear to look at it.

There is no need to pay someone for a tour. This is a site that needs no explanation beyond what you already know. It's a very emotional experience, and the sheer size of it is overwhelming. My advice is to do exactly as I did 5 years ago -- pay your respects, say a few prayers, and reflect.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Hi Lisa. So, you can have access to the site, even without a guide. I would prefer not to have a guide. It is what it is, a place to pay your respects, say a few prayers and reflect. Just like you said! I think a tour guide, would make it less personal. In my opinion. Lil' Lori

Old 07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
We are going in September. We were thinking of simply catching the subway from outside our hotel and walk around where ever we can (outside the construction zones).

FUTURE:
Carnival Breeze - Jan 2013

PAST:
Carnival Conquest - 2011, Oasis of the Seas B2B - 2011, Carnival Conquest 2010, Carnival Ecstasy - 2010,
Carnival Conquest - 2009, Carnival Ecstasy - 2009, Brilliance of the Seas (Med) - 2008,
Carnival Miracle - 2007, Carnival Conquest - 2006, Rhapsody of the Seas - 2005, Vision of the Seas - 2003,
Rhapsody of the Seas - 2001, Carnival Inspiration - 2000, Carnival Jubilee - 1999
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Lil' Lori, I was there on Friday. It is now a flourishing, hectic, congested, construction site. But, as Lisa stated, reflect and say a prayer. No words are needed.

A'ndrea
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 AM
I have a friend that moved here 2 years ago from NYC and she says it is something you see and never ever forget she says she still remembers that day like it was just recent. Reflect and pray and thank God because it could have been you but by his grace and mercy it wasn't.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it. Lil' Lori

Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

Be prepared to get angry; there are numerous english and non english speaking people who will shove a packet of pictures in your face in hopes of you buying them. Across the street are vendors selling WTC trinkets and books/magazines, again, trying to make a buck off the tragedy. After the 5th person shoved his pics in my face within a 3 minute time frame, I'd had it and gave the guy a forearm shiver just to get him outta my face.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 AM

GC- It would be nice if they had a donation box, that would go directly to the famililes. Maybe a scholarship donation box, to help put their kids through school. Thanks for the warning. I will get my forearm ready. Lil' Lori

Closed Thread