Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Hi
I been on two cruises before but We always took excursions from the ship. The prices seam pretty expensive since we are taking our kids with us and the average price would be around $400 for each port. I've checked on-line for off the boat tours and seam like a better deal but how safe are they? You always hear stories of bad experiences. Unfortuntly I don't speak spanish either, so how easy is it to communicate? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Stay with cruiseline excursions at Mex-riv. Just my opinion.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Depends on where you are going.
We have done private tours in Acapulco and Cabo...most people in the tourist areas speak english
Get guides recommended by others and you will have a better tour than the cruiseship
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Travelling with kids ANYWHERE out of the country is a safety matter. Sometimes, the expense of the excursions has to take a back seat to the overall safety and peace of mind of those travelling. I don't care what Robert Frost says. Sometimes it's best to avoid "The Road Less Travelled" and stick to beaten path.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Scrap4Girls:

Welcome to cruise-chat!

As for your question. On my second cruise I went to Cozumel. I always felt completely safe there. Everyone kept their distance:
- no pushy street vendors
- no beggers
- no scary looking people-->
It was very nice as a result. I hope to go back soon.

Not that I would completely drop my guard while there. But I did see both young and old walking the streets un-bothered. Since Cozumel is an island seperated from the mainland, I think that adds to it's safety.

Most people in the important places in Cozumel (big stores, big bars, information centers) spoke English. THere were a few times when I encountered a cab driver or a person in a small store that only spoke Spanish. However, I did not have much of a problem with a language barier (even if I couldn't speak Spanish; which I can do with some limitations).

Cozumel is the only place in Mexico I have been to so far. So I can't speak for other Mexican cities in terms of safety.

Also, the US Dollar is accepted in Cozumel. I was worried that I should exchange my dollars into Pesos before getting there; but did not have to.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Don't be scared if you purchase something with a credit card and the receipt shows a different amount. The price might say $12 on a sign but when you get the receipt it may say 304. It's a little shocking at first but their registers just convert everything to pesos.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 AM

I appreciate everyones advice. I think it should be safe at least thats what i'm hoping for. I know that percentage of good experience out way the bad. Its just that we are on a tight budge. The booking through the ship would cost almost half of what we paid for the cruise. Maybe I should go to a local book store and get some more information. Also your advice helps me to really think it through on what I should do. The ports we are visiting is Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo, and Cabo.

Can anyone tell me where I can get some brouchers? I booked through Sam's Club and they really couldn't help me with that information. By the way I got a really good deal with them. If anyone is booking a trip with NCL theres alot of perks. Thanks again your experiences with these or any other ports help.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:18 PM
AAA is a great source for maps, brochures, etc..

I would have to go along with Neil--stick with the ship excursions: especially with children in Mexico.

You don't really have to take excursions unless there is some activity you feel you "must do". You can safely walk the town and use the beaches in Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo and Cabo San Lucas. The main part of P.V. is a short cab ride from the pier. In Cabo and Z. they are within easy waliing distance (well, maybe a real short cab ride in Cabo).

Not so in Acapulco; just a short distance from the glitzy hotels and clubs is grinding abject poverty. Stick with the ship tours; stick real close.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, excursions, lawrence, mexican, mexico, ncl, penthouse, perks, ports, safe, safety, spanish, st, star, tour