Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM

Thinking about booking out of San Juan with ports of St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados. All new except StThomas.
Any input on must see, must do for each island would be great input. This would be our lst cruise on Princess as we have done RCI and Celebrity in the past.
Thanks in advance

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM

Well, just one days passes and now it looks like it will be Crown Princess out of Ft Lauderdale in Feb next year. As I said, lst experience for us on Princess. The only two ports that will be new are Rotan Honduras and the Princess Cays stop. Any suggestions for Honduras; must see/do?
Need to book rooms soon as I noticed a quick look the other day when we narrowed search to 3 each on Princess and RCI that this one is filling up fast. We are used to a couch in our balcony stateroom on RCI but it appears one has to be in a mini suite to get this? Any decks to stay away from and port vs starboard choice on this cruise ?
Thanks in advance.

Peterl

Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes Peter, you can only get a couch in the mini-suites or above. The minis are only on Dolphin Deck and the back of Emerald Deck. They are the same except that on Dolphin Deck the balconies are completely uncovered and on Emerald Deck they are completely covered. I have had both and like both for different reasons. On Dolphin Deck the cabins are lighter and airier and you can sun yourself on the balcony; on Emerald Deck the cabins are a little darker and it is not possible to sun, but you have more privacy. Some folks don't like that on Dolphin Deck the people above can look down into your balcony; this has never bothered us and I've always found other passengers to be very respectful of our privacy--no gawkers or anything like that.

As for port or starboard, no difference!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info; a regular balcony is ok with me but one couple will want the sofa so it is great to know. Sticker shock is back ! We always cruise during break period and the costs are always so much more. Are there choices for airport arrival (we've always come into FLL)and if so where and how far from the cruise port?
Almost cost as much from home to FLL as it cost us last year to San Juan !

Peterl

Old 05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I've only flown into Ft. Lauderdale, and the pier is only 10-15 minutes away. I think I've heard others talk about flying into Miami for a Ft. Lauderdale cruise, but don't know any of the details. I'm sure someone else can answer that for you.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator

FLL is best. MIA and PBI are nearby. I'd prefer flying in to PBI as an alternate to FLL. MIA is definitely last on my list of south Florida airports.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks all for the Info.

Dave about how far are MIA and PBI and is easy to get to and from there to the cruise port?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Peterl

Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 AM

More questions: What is the earliest we could book our return flight in FFL, MIA, or PBI without rushing..I know if we carry off (can RCI) we can leave earlier.

Thanks

Peterl

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
If you carry your own luggage you should have no trouble making a 10:00 a.m. flight in Ft. Lauderdale; I don't know about the other airports.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 AM

You could not make PBI or MIA by 10am. Word of caution, when we arrived in Miami on Sunday, Customs and Boarder Safety's computer system was down. They had to install a back up system. We were the second group to be called to debark and that was at 10am.

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, boarding, caribbean, caribean, carribean, cruise, juan, port, princess, reivews, review, reviews, san, starboard, start