Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 PM

hi,extremely interested in paying our respect at the Arizona& Mo. memorials. What would be best way to do that?Through cruise line or on our own?Retirees looking for advice.thank you so much.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 PM

hi,extremely interested in paying our respect at the Arizona& Mo. memorials. What would be best way to do that?Through cruise line or on our own?Retirees looking for advice.thank you so much.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Well, being a Persian Gulf War veteran myself, in my opinion, as long as you pay your respects, do what is best for you. I have never been there, I know I would for sure need kleenex. I am sentimental at memorials. If you ever get a change to visit the General Patton museum in California, I would highly suggest visiting it. It has some very moving exhibits. Sincerely, Lori Croasdale Veteran U.S.A.F. (A.K.A Lil' Lori).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-17-2005, 04:41 PM

It is a very moving experience - but also extremely popular. If your ship arrives in port early, my suggestion would be to grab a taxi (or take the Waikiki Trolley) as soon as you are able to depart the ship. It is definietly an activity you should plan to do as early as possible to avoid the massive crowds that multiply as the day wears on. If you are planning to stay in Honolulu pre- or post-cruise, then scheduling then is even better.

If you are interested in this memorial, I would also suggest you plan to visit Punchbowl. I found it an even more reverent experience.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Waters, one advantage to taking a cruise line excursion to the Arizona Memorial would be if they guaranteed you'd get into the Visitor Center in a timely fashion. When you show up at the ticket desk, they sell you a ticket for a specific time for you to enter. If it's crowded, your ticket may be for an hour or more hence.

Once you go in, there is a very moving documentary being shown in the theater, plus a lot of other information and souvenirs to browse. Then you go onto the tender that takes you to the actual memorial, built right over the sunken ship. You can stay there as long as you want, before boarding a tender back to the Visitors Center.

I've done it 2 or 3 times, and it is equally compelling each time you go. There is a wall in the memorial that lists the names of the Navy sailors lost on the Arizona. One of the most moving scenes I've ever witnessed was a group of Japanese tourists standing at the wall, bowing, and leaving flowers.

Sandy
Old 12-17-2005, 08:40 PM

hi Lori,Nancy&Sandy,your input was extremely informative,helful&very much appreciated.Thank you again.CB

Closed Thread