Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 PM

SMAC~~~hello!

I've been to Bermuda four times, always on a cruise. It is, bar none, our favorite cruise destination because of how beautiful the island nation is.

First of all, cruise-wise, it is unique because it is the only trip one can make, that I know of, that you are there (on most seven-day cruises) three and one-half days. This is significant. If your ship goes there for a week, you will either be at one docking location, probably King's Warf on the western-most end of the island, for the whole time, if your ship is one of the larger ones; or your ship will call at Hamilton, the middle port for a portion and then move (weather permitting) to St. George on the east end.

Secondly, we have found Bermuda to be very safe and visitor-friendly. Most of the residents there enjoy a high standard of living, which trickles down to you having a very nice visit.

I don't know what the average age or physical situation is of the party you are travelling with, but for us, who are fairly agile and active, we always rent the scooters when we visit Bermuda. If you are careful, and drive the speed limit, tooling around the island can be exhilirating. There are no car rentals available to visitors: all cars driving past you are local people aware that you are a visitor and they take care and consideration passing you by.

I realize that one must be very prudent while scooter-touring the island, but the rewards are as seemingly infinite as the scenic wonders and amazing little beaches, parks, and post-card stops that there are to enjoy.

You can rent these scooters for your entire stay, parking them in the lots near the ship at night and hopping back on the next day. That said, be extra careful in the one big city of Hamilton; traffic can be heavy there.

If you wish to skip the scooters, certainly if you have children with you, you will find that the pink Bermuda busses can take you everywhere--all over this island. The people are so very friendly and will suggest many places for you to hop off of the bus to enjoy the various beaches and parks.

Use the shore excursion desk on your cruise ship to find out how to take part in diving or snorkeling trips, catamaran trips, golf outings--there are more courses per square mile than anywhere in the world, I hear.

There are easy-to-use ferries to take you from The Royal Naval Dockyard on the west end to the city of Hamilton, and to other parts of the island. I keep saying island---Bermuda is many, many islands....

What a wonderful place it is, indeed.

Bon Voyage!

Lana
Old 06-17-2005, 04:57 AM

Thanks Lana for all that info.. I am a "beach" person.. which beach over in Bermuda is the "happening" beach?? thanks for all the info..
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM

smac,
You will find the beaches in Bermuda to be a bit different than what you are used to in the Caribbean, Bahamas or Florida. There are many beautiful beaches but they tend to be small (by Caribbean standards)idyllic spots that are not teeming with hawkers, peddlers, etc. There is, however, parasailing and jet ski-rentals on the island. First, for para-sailing there are 2 companies I am aware of: KS Watersports is located at St. George's White Horse Pub (they also rent jet-skis) and Fantasea Bermuda offer parasailing twice a day in Hamilton and Southampton (reservations are required). Windjammer Watersports also rent jet-skis and they are located at Cambridge Beaches and at the Naval Dockyard. You can rent kayaks and snorkel gear at Tobacco Bay.

As for the most popular beaches - those would be Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beach.

Hope this helps-
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-17-2005, 11:07 AM

THANKS NANCY..
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM

you have painted such a beautiful picture of bermuda. i cant wait to go. we are going on the grandeur of the seas for a second honeymoon in july.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:45 AM

cromsters,
I do love Bermuda and no matter how often I visit, I look forward to my annual week long stay. If you have any questions, please fire away.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
atlantis, bay, bermuda, cruise, dolphin, kings, ks, quest, review, taking, thinking, tobacco, watersports, wharf