Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Hi, I could sure use some help. 18 of us are going on Carnival Miracle for 8 days in April. First stop is Panama and we're thinking of taking the $179 Panama Cruise that they bus to Balboa, get on Ferry, ride through canal to Gamboa and then bus back. Is this a good tour, anyone know? Goods and Bads? I've always wanted to go through the canal, too young to take a 3 week one direction cruise.
2nd stop is Costa Rica - thinking of river rafting, worried about getting hurt in another country? Thoughts on how dangerouse Class III rapids are there? Anything to do off ship that doesn't cost much or must see things in Costa Rica. Thought about Zip line, but seems to be too much travel time, is this true?
3rd stop - Belize. We all want to snorkel. Cruise gives 3 excursions to do that. One to Truneffe Atoll, another to Goff's Caye and another one to Sergeant's Cay. We want to snorkel the reef there. Which one of these excursions would be best. They range from $52-$69. Please help us. It's a trip of with many friends and family and I don't want to let them down with bad excursions. Thanks for everything.
mmars
Paradise 2000
RCCL Monarch 2002
CCL Legend 2002
Triumph 2003
Victory 2004
Fascination 2004
Regal Empress 2005
Liberty 2005
Imagination 2006
Inspiration 2006
Costa Mediterranea 2007
Fascination 2007
Victory 2008
NCL Norwegian Sky 2008
Carnival Miracle April 2009????
Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I haven't taken any excursions in Panama or Belize; only Costa Rica.

You should always buy travel insurance in case the unthinkable happens. The cruise lines and the tour operators put your safety first; but accidents do happen. There have been at least two fatalities this year due apparently to negligence: a cave tubing accident and a zip line accident. But there have also been fatalities at Disneyland; so there is an element of risk in everything.

I have only been to Puntarenas on the Pacific side and I imagine you are going to Limon if you are doing the partial Canal transit. From what I've heard Limon is not a place to be wondering around on your own. But I would not hesitate to try the rafting or zip line on a ship-sponsored excursion. But if you are concerned about safety, remember, Costa Rica is an absolutely beautiful country. Just a bus tour into San Jose is a wonderful experience.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
In Costa Rica from Port Limon we took the canal tour/banana plantation tour through "Okey Dokey tours"
Last year people took the zip lining tour with the same company from Puntarenas.
We just walked around both towns without any problems just the usual tour guides offering tours.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, belize, costa, cruise, dokey, excursions, goff, line, okey, port, puntarenas, reviews, rica, shore, tours, zip